Catfish caught on small soft plastics and 8# test braid

SPOONMINNOW

There's no telling what will strike small lures, especially not catfish, but after you catch them, the fish aren't the only ones hooked.
Examples of fish and the lures that caught them:
KRTxDgl.jpgFuwW2Ws.jpgse0GdHT.jpg

YWERecW.jpg4hri1HF.jpg

wSkqvV0.jpgzOzgMe0.jpgPpBmOZX.jpg

Occassionally on crankbaits like this Rapala Risto Rap:
l9af2sj.jpg

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

Future Sponsor
Had to look up mud cat - we call em flatheads out here in the midwest.
Ever fish for em at night? Out my way thats when the big ones are on the prowl.

SPOONMINNOW

Never caught fish at night. When I lived in Texas trotlines were used at night by locals to catch and sell catfish to catfish restaurants. My neighbor offered me one of 15 from the bed of his truck. All were over 30 lbs. - some over 50.

Hawnjigs

Future Sponsor
Yah man, imagine one of those on your 8# braid gear. I would guess the ones you catch daytime have mommies & daddies that party at night.

SPOONMINNOW

Gotta say, the fried catfish along with the fix'ns that we ate at catfish restaurants with names like The Catch and Catfish Grill, makes me wonder why I ever left Tx.
I also wonder how I could have boated those catfish over 5 lbs on that light tackle. Guess it was the braid, a flexible rod, good drag and a long handle net. Anymore I'd rather catch large crappie, white perch and sunfish than those brutes.

Hawnjigs

Future Sponsor
Water too cold here for a catfish bite but yesterday I smoked a 5# that bud Jon snagged. Pretty decent & worth revisiting with an ideal box smoker fit 10# when the warming water next Spring restarts the bite.

As posted landing a 40# flattie is possible on 8# gear if you get the urge for a more robust tug.