Cabo?

scrubs

Anybody tie any jigs for the south Baja? I just got back from San Jose Del Cabo and I'm going back again in Feb. Love it!.

Everything I read said large lures from the beach. Turns out the best thing was smallish spoons, about 1/2 oz. All the Canadian guys were casting 2" hoochies with a bubble. Next trip I'm bringing bubbles, a few hoochies, a few small spoons, some flies and some small jigs.

Bait is 1-3" flat side herring or sardinas. Any ideas for jigs? My guess is they'll be small and behind a bubble.

bill

Jig Man

Its hard to bet a 1/2 to 3/4 oz, 4" spoon in the surf. 1/2 oz buck-tail jig white with a red thread body is killer also...

scrubs

Jigman,
The bigger spoons of about 4" never had a hit. Small 2 1/2" Krocs and 2" Champs had all the action. I think I have some 1/2 oz heads to tie some up, thanks.

LedHed,
We were staying in San Jose Del Cabo, is that East Cape or farther north? Didn't fish the Estuary inside the turtle refuge. What kind of swimbaits?

bill

hookup

When we fished Baja, we'd us big plastic swimbaits on bullet head jigs, ganjons (sp??) of 3 hooks tipped with anchovies or squid, and big bucktail jigs bounced along the bottom.

For hair jigs, thing east coast stripper jigs.

LedHed

Sponsor
East Cape is around the corner going up the Sea of Cortez - lot of retired Americans live there. North of there is La Paz some more excellent fishing. About 280 Kilometers on the pacific side is Bahia de Magdalena (Mag Bay) - if you like fishing Cabo (Baja) - you have to fish there - one of my favorite palaces - ever!
Use to be some mangroves you could fish... Using small 2 & 3" swimbaits (any color) and the bullet head jigs in white. Trolled Rebel broken backs too. You gotta upgrade the hooks!

scrubs

LedHed said:
East Cape is around the corner going up the Sea of Cortez - lot of retired Americans live there. North of there is La Paz some more excellent fishing. About 280 Kilometers on the pacific side is Bahia de Magdalena (Mag Bay) - if you like fishing Cabo (Baja) - you have to fish there - one of my favorite palaces - ever!
Use to be some mangroves you could fish... Using small 2 & 3" swimbaits (any color) and the bullet head jigs in white. Trolled Rebel broken backs too. You gotta upgrade the hooks!

Cool, thanks for the info.

bill

scrubs

LedHed said:
Swimbaits work really good. You fishing in the estuary? Try the East Cape too.

X2 on the bucktail

Saw a no fishing sign in the estuary and river last week.

Got fish but the bite was sunup to 8am only for me. Lots of Jacks and Ladyfish.

bill

scrubs

Yeah it is. Wish the surf was a little less there so I could use a light walleye/bass rod there.

Went to Akumal Mx one time. There's a barrier reef so it's all sight fishing for Jacks in knee deep water. Good fun with 1/8 jigs and a light outfit.

bill

LedHed

Sponsor
You got to fish Bahia de Magdalena (Mag Bay) on the pacific side if you like to sight fish. See if you can get a panga to take you to the surf camp (Bahia de Santa Maria - I think, memory issues) during the incoming tide. Insane for halibut on crankbaits with YTs at the entrance on swimbaits. And Cabrilla all over the place!! Water so clear you can pick and choose your target.

On the Cortez side - get up to La Paz and Bahia de los Muertos for some phenomenal Roosters & Dorado.

scrubs

Hawnjigs said:
Is the outer reef edge accessible by wading? Snappers, groupers, mom & pop jacks...

If you mean Akumal I'm not sure. If memory serves it was maybe 1/2 mile off the beach. Didn't see any pangas then but it's been quite a while. Went on Expedia the other day and there are a ton of hotels now.

bill

scrubs

LedHed said:
You got to fish Bahia de Magdalena (Mag Bay) on the pacific side if you like to sight fish. See if you can get a panga to take you to the surf camp (Bahia de Santa Maria - I think, memory issues) during the incoming tide. Insane for halibut on crankbaits with YTs at the entrance on swimbaits. And Cabrilla all over the place!! Water so clear you can pick and choose your target.

On the Cortez side - get up to La Paz and Bahia de los Muertos for some phenomenal Roosters & Dorado.

I'd like to do La Paz one day. Next time we're down I'll do a day trip there to check it oout.

bill

Back