Broken Rod Mended

redman

The Old Redman broke one of his favorite crappie rods last year. Dang, Dang, Dang, today I decide that I better quite licking my wounds and fix the rod.

The rod was a 9 and a half foot Fenwick 6 wt fly rod. The top 8 inch broke off. After doing some experimenting I found that the best action was to cut 1 more inch off it and add a little bit better tip than a fly rod tip. I had several and pick one that fit snug and used some Gorilla Glue to set it on there. After the glue set I tried it out and sure like the action. Will use it for a dipping rod around the trees so put one of those little B & M black Crappie reels on it . Will use 8 lb. Olive Spiderwire line which seems to work best for getting your jig back from the grabbing roots of the cypress trees. Just hope that the weather is good Monday so I can try it out.

I like my B & M jigging rods in the fall for throwing jigs to the banks for crappie but in the spring you just can't beat a fly rod for dipping around the cypress trees. My favorite rod in the spring is a old fiberglass Berkley Cherrywood fly rod 8 foot long 7 wt. It gets heavy to hold but it sure does the job.

Redman

Pup

I recently repaired one of my fly rods. The butt cap came off, so I epoxied the cap's spigot into the rod handle. It looks good as new to me. :)

But, there went the rod's 25 year warranty... :( :rolleyes:

Lost Pole

Glad ya got her up n runnin, Red.
A good rod is Hard to come by. I cherish mine more than clothes.
I've been using my UL 10' BnM for the spawn. I never get arm tired. But water is Waaay up and I'm sliding under trees and using an old fly rod that was my grandpas that's a foot shorter and setting the hook with my loose hand pulling line. Problem is the spiders…
I'll snatch a snake up by its face, but spiders.....

ragged edge

I too had to fix the bro's rod yesterday as he broke the the last 8" off last weekend. We use 10' B n M poles. They will warranty them but the freight is expensive so I order two tips at a time to save freight on the next disaster.

Red, glad you got'r fixed! Disappointing to break a rod while fishing,,,,,,,,

Back