Battered or Breaded

• Breaded

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Battered

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kdog

After  our 5th fish fry this summer, an interesting discussion got started and that was why we only bread our fish.  (Never had a complaint before). I said we batter sometimes but for fish frys because of the volume we stick with our tried and true secret recipe breading aka Magic Dust.

My favorite breading is 
4 cups potato powder
2 cup XXX flour
1/2 cup Corn Flour
2 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tbs Seasoned Salt,
2 tbs Black Pepper
1 tbs Red Pepper
1 tbs celery salt

The seasonings are kinda to taste. everything gets sifted together to make sure it is a uniform distribution
The potato powder is instant mashed potatoes that are run thru a food processor, blender or spice mill until powdered.
Cornmeal can be added for extra crunch but I avoid it as not everyone likes it.

Riinse and dry the filets, liberally coat with the mix, shake off and deep fry until done.  DO NOT OVERCOOK. Cooked fish should not be cooked dry.

My wife makes a batter thats starts with a tempura mix to which she adds select spices and uses dark beer instead of soda water. I love this for most fish but find it excels on yellow perch.

Comment/Share you thought and possibly recipes.

hookup

I like both

Batter is easy - beer, bisquick, salt, pepper. The batter puffs up nicely around the fish - fry until batter just turns a golden brown

Breading is also easy - self rising white cornmeal (yellow can be used in a pinch), AP flour, salt, and celery seed - again, cook until golden brown

I've also sautéed both of these recipes in butter, but it's rich

Jig Man

Depends on the fish. To me, some are better one way and some are better the other... And don't rule out the grill.

hookup

And don't rule out the grill.

Nor the ol' bachelor cooking standby - wrap in foil with butter & spices & bake, grill, heat in a pan, toaster oven, or drop on coals in an outdoor fire

AllenOK

I voted for Breaded, as that's what I usually do. However, I like a good beer batter. I also like to Blacken fish as well. Very tasty!

duffy

We usually do all three depending on mood or what we'r cooking with it. Pretty hard to beat a nice walleye fillet on a hunk of foil steaming in butter and Johnny's seasoning on camp stove at the shore.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My choice is breaded as well, wife does a knock out job with the spices and then throws in Panko for extra crunch too. It does depend on the fish though. Have found that walleye blackened on cast iron is hard to beat. Even have 2 different spice mixes that we use... one is spicy and the other is more like a sweeter bbq flavor. It is not all that often that i come across a fish meal that i don't like, i will try it all!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
.............and if we are talking strictly breaded or battered, got to have me some lemon or lime juice to squeeze on.

Back