Bought some Glow White powder paint

AllenOK

Something I've been wanting to try and do are some Tungsten ice fishing jigs.  Glow colors seem to be all the rage these days.  Gent on another forum asked if anyone had some jigs in a certain weight/size, painted Glow White.  I told him I was planning on ordering the paint, and would be in contact.

Paint arrived yesterday.  I painted up one, as a test.

View attachment 9

And here it is glowing.  Sorry about the focus.

My thoughts are:  1)  It might not show in the pic, but the paint looks like it's swirled with something grey?  Or is that the lead showing through?  I gave it three coats before curing.  I'll have to do another one with a base coat of White, then a few coats of Glow White over that.  2)  I'm wondering if I mixed in some 200% Clear, would that help with the glow effect?  I'm wondering, if the mix of clear will allow light to penetrate deeper into the paint, and let the lower layers glow shine through, adding to the top layer?

I'll probably have to mix up a little and give that one a try as well.

Attachments

• 20170330GlowJig1.JPG
    20170330GlowJig1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170330GlowJig2.JPG
    20170330GlowJig2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 66

bucktail

I'm a fan of glow,
I only have tried protec glow,I dip twice and seems to be fine
I seen a paint on ebay that seems to last longer but cost is more,also to note when you are
reheating for the second dip if you burn it at all it will show through

AllenOK

Thanks Bucktail. I went ahead and did two more prototypes tonight. I did a base coat of White on each, and did a double-dip into the Glow White on one. I also did a batch of 1 part Glow White : 1 part 200% Clear, and the second jig got a double dip into that mix after a dip into White for a base coat.

As far as results, I just can't tell a difference. Both seem to have a more uniform coating of color under normal light. I "charge" the jig by sticking the head up into the center of the coil of a CF Bulb, and holding it there for about 10 seconds. Then, off into a bathroom with the light off. They both seem to glow the same, but.... Both versions had "dim spots" in the glow. Kind of like a negative image of the Earth at night. Instead of dark land with little flecks of light (cities), it's a glowing field with little flecks that don't glow as much. It seems to be concentrated at the head of the jig, or all things.

Back