Bobbin Issue ?

BucktailJiger

Having some issues with thread breakage / spool's not turning . Tried to stretch the feet some and still having issues :mad: Thought it may be a bad spool of thread but switching spools , still happens . Bout ready to get a Rite Ceramic . Really enjoying this , but gets frustrating when I got to fight thread breakage . Tied for 6 straight hours yesterday , love it !!!!! Just seems to come natural to me . YES pictures will be posted after Santa leaves my digital camera . :D . So I'm open to any advice or help !!! Thanks

Radtexan

Ive got 7 bobbins,and 2 of em no matter what i do will break thread.Got a couple of ceramic tips that I never have any trouble,and the others are all flare tips.Same make,same model,but the same two cut the the thread.Cant find any burs or sharp edges..All bobbins are not created equal...

Hunter is right,just keep spreading the feet till you find the tension you like..

Shoemoo

Try spreading the feet out more. You can always adjust them the other way if you spread them too far. I always hold the spool in my palm while using the bobbin. Seems to help overcome friction and get the spool started turning, and allows me to control the thread tension easier. The thickness of the thread has a lot to do with it too. What size thread are you using?

Fatman

As a fly tyer a tip I was given a long time ago, Check the sides of the thread spool and the feet pegs. Could be you have a bur or rough spot that isn't letting it turn freely. Might help us to know what kind of bobbin you have, and what kind of thread your using?? The difference in thread tension is different for GSP, Kevlar, 210 flat waxed, 3/0, 6/0 etc.

And while you might not be able to SEE a rough spot on a bobbin tube take a q-tip and slowly run it around the edge of the top and bottom of the tube.

Try those and see if it helps.

Fatman

BucktailJiger

Opp's , does help sorry . Cascade Crest Deralan feet ceramic insert's ,Danville 210 Denier Waxed Flymaster plus . Did just do the q-tip found 1 spool that was bured , rest and feet ok

Fatman

Wow thought you just got your stuff, I'd call where ever you got it and have them send a new one. Nothing worse when tying then a messed up bobbin

Shoemoo

It takes practice to get a feel for how much tension you can put on the thread before it breaks. I'm sure everyone breaks lots of thread at the start. I know I did. It will get easier over time.

You may want to consider gel spun polyethylene (GSP) or Kevlar thread. They have much higher breaking points than nylon thread. They are also much more resistant to being cut by the fish's teeth. The downsides are the color selections are not as varied, and they cost about six times as much per yard.

Now if I could just keep from accidentally cutting the thread with my scissors...

BucktailJiger

Shoemoo said:
It takes practice to get a feel for how much tension you can put on the thread before it breaks. I'm sure everyone breaks lots of thread at the start. I know I did. It will get easier over time.

You may want to consider gel spun polyethylene (GSP) or Kevlar thread. They have much higher breaking points than nylon thread. They are also much more resistant to being cut by the fish's teeth. The downsides are the color selections are not as varied, and they cost about six times as much per yard.

Now if I could just keep from accidentally cutting the thread with my scissors...
Ya , :mad:

LedHed

Sponsor
Cj - a lot of tying experience is trial and error. I would return the "bad" bobbin for a new one. Good thing you had a couple of extras.

Nightprowler

Good advise so far. I can't imagine breaking 210 often but you may have wore it out with those "gift jigs":). Spread it wider is the first thing I would try. It might be that your string it loop knotted a couple wrapped into the spool. Check for frayed thread coming from the bobbin. Hope this helps.
NightProwler

Fatman

GSP isn't bad when tying smaller jigs but Kevlar!!! It sure does build up quick and can be a real pain to whip finish, and is strong enough to cut through some materials.

BucktailJiger

Found the problem with the bobbin ! The top ceramic insert is cracked /broke. Found the magnifing glass and and at the right angle in the light can see a small piece is missing at the bottom of the insert . Took a piece of heavy mono and fed it through the stem , held both ends and slid the bobbin side to side then run a q-tip on the line , and guess what I found !!!

Shoemoo

Yeah. Kevlar is pretty abrasive. I only use it for steelhead jige. It doesn't affect ceramic bobbins, but it will ruin a steel bobbin right quick. It also does a number on scissors. I have two pairs of scissors, and I never use the good ones for cutting Kevlar.

I have never had a problem with doing whip finishes with it, but I do use a whip finish tool. I actually have more problems whip finishing with GSP since it's so slick. I always put the head cement on before cutting the GSP so I can cinch it up again if necessary.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Cool little tip using the cotton to locate the problem. Have to store that away in my memory somewhere... hopefully. You should be able to get a replacement since all your stuff is so new.

Shoemoo said:
Yeah. Kevlar is pretty abrasive. I only use it for steelhead jige. It doesn't affect ceramic bobbins, but it will ruin a steel bobbin right quick. It also does a number on scissors. I have two pairs of scissors, and I never use the good ones for cutting Kevlar.

Wow - never would have though that Kevlar thread would be that tuff. I assumed the Kevlar name was just implied to make it 'sound' like it was heavy duty.... is it actually the real deal they use to make bullet-proof gear??? Thinking it has to be if it can damage bobbin tips and scissors.

Shoemoo

It's the real thing. Kevlar is a fiber that can be made into many different materials. The main use for Kevlar thread is sewing mattresses.

http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar/en_US/products/index.html

In the size used for fly tying, it has a breaking strength of about 8 pounds and has absolutely no stretch. You'll bend all but the stoutest saltwater hooks before it breaks. It will also cut you if you try to break it by hand. I actually like the bulk for certain applications. It's great for building up thread necks quickly on palmered rabbit hide jigs. Kevlar has a very rough texture, while GSP has the opposite problem. It's slicker than a greased eel. Kevlar has been around longer, so it's a little cheaper than GSP. I can find 50 yard spools of Kevlar locally for around $2.50, while GSP runs around $3.25 for the same size spool. Both are too expensive for your standard crappie or bass jig.

You only really need either for high-tension applications like spinning deer hair, or if the fish is especially toothy and/or hard fighting like muskies or steelhead.

Fatman

Attica

Wrap a piece around your finger and pull really hard LOL. It's the real deal buddy. Just like when they tell the bass fisherman to carry a piece of wood dowel if they get snagged using power braid - it will cut your hand

Back