Boa Yarn Crawler

Pup

My latest bass tie. Used a new-to-me technique to make its tail with an eyelash yarn. It's called furling.

boatail006.jpg

Furling is the process of twisting a section of yarn, attached to the hook shank, so that it will twist onto itself when its tag end is tied back to the shank.

Materials:
  • Spirit River Real-Eyes Plus 7/32" Dumbbell Eyes - nickel/yellow.
  • Coats & Clark Trilobal Polyester Embroidery Thread (40-wt.) - Chona Brown #51.
  • Lion Brand Suede Chenille - Canyon (discontinued).
  • Bernat Boa Yarn - Dark Mink #46913.
  • Kiwi Boot Lace - brown.
  • Eagle Claw Weedless Hook 249WA-1/0.
The tail is extremely limp and lightweight. Total lure length is approximately 5 to 6 inches.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
WTF?????? :cool: That is a crazy looking critter of a jig/fly/creation! Bass will HAVE to kill that thing just in frustration of trying to understand it.

Furling - I have done some reading about using the technique to make fly line leaders, never thought to use it in tying.

Pup

Thanks FM and AF. :)

AF,

Many fly tyers furl eyelash yarns. To the best of my knowledge, a fly-tying Nun (not flying ;)) developed, of all things, a grass carp fly that began to popularize this technique using Bernat Boa Yarn. Boa is just one of many different eyelash yarns that are quite useful for tying attractive flies and jigs. Perhaps the most popular of them is the long since discontinued Bernat Disco Yarn.

Fatman

Toad should learn how to do that and attach it to that weird dragon jig head!! Now that would scare the heck out of the fish!!!!!!!!!

smalljaw

Man, that thing will look like some kind of creature on the bottom of a lake or river!!! At 6" say, with a weedless hook, you will have an amazing creature to let slowly sink on the outside edge of a lilypad field or coontail bed, one thing is certain, it will get killed!! Pup, you need to sell these creations, I bet you would sell a ton of them, a whole new catagory of lure!!

Back