Boa-Tailed Bottom Bouncer For Smallmouth Bass

Pup

Designed this one using a weighted EWG hook for river fishing. Smallmouth bass are my chosen quarry. Its short furled tail provides the action, while the leather and chenille body provides a profile. I'm hoping that snag resistance will be maximal.

minktail001_zpsf8269763.jpg

Total length is five inches. Will bump this one along a river bottom with current, much like a tube bait.

Materials:
  • Gamakatsu Superline EWG 5/0 Hook - 1/8 ounce
  • Bernat Boa Yarn - dark mink
  • Lion Brand Suede Chenille Yarn - coffee
  • Tandy Leather Latigo Lace - auburn/gray
  • UTC Ultra Thread (140 denier) - rusty brown

AndyLane

That is awesome! Looks like it would be hard to tie something like that.( For me anyway :) ) Do you primarily fish for smallmouth?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Reminds me of a poodle.

Wise acre-ing aside, that certainly looks like a tail flapper. Also looks like the body would hold an irresistable amount of smelly jelly if one wants to cheat...

smalljaw

I too am a river smallie guy and I'll tell you right now, that thing screams helgramite!!!!!! Crawl that along the river bottom and you will get some smallies with out a doubt, and big ones for certain!! I think you can do a similar one on a 3/0 almost the same style only add some thin leather legs up the body, maybe 3 sets but that is all I would do, the tail is spot on killer!!!!!

Pup

Thank you all for your comments. :)

AndyLane said:
That is awesome! Looks like it would be hard to tie something like that.( For me anyway :) ) Do you primarily fish for smallmouth?

When you're doing the designing, nothing seems too difficult to tie. Putting a new design into practice is often something a bit different however. It's good to have experience and backup plans. ;)

I fish for just about most anything available locally when given the chance. Smallmouth bass are abundant in the local river and public access is fairly good near my home, so I like to tie for them.

Back