Blue w/ glitter - didn't turn out like I wanted

AllenOK

I was thinking about painting some pillheads a light blue, then tap some red on the back for gills, and a multi-colored glitter/clear coat, to try and simulate the Redfin minnows here, and do the Stayner Ducktail pattern on that jighead.

Well, I thought I had a light-blue PP. I had already mixed up a clear coat with three different shades of blue glitter and some lavender glitter. I opened up my "light blue" PP, and realized it was a candy coat w/ glitter. It's called Blue Sapphire? I guess I had forgotten what it was.

I tried a white base coat, then the Blue Sapphire, but it still wasn't the pale blue like my chenille is.

Oh well. In the end, I ended up just doing a dip into the Sapphire Blue, and tapped the glitter coat over that. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 5

Looks like my camera focused on the wood beneath the jig instead of the. At least you can get an idea of what the glitter looks like.

Attachments

• 20150902BlueJighead.JPG
    20150902BlueJighead.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 63

Fatman

Not bad - if you want to smooth the surface you could add some clear. If you don't want to go out and buy a lighter blue you could always take a tablespoon of the Blue Sapphire and add some white until you get it the shade you want, then do a clear coat with the glitter in it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not how you wanted but i'd be painting up some bigger heads and tying on some black & blue magnum zonkers..... a few black & blue silicone skirt pieces for good measure. Bruise colors are outstanding for largemouth.

You should be able to get a light blue (pale blue) final result from the Blue Sapphire since it is a candy. If i remember right, there is a ton of glitter mixed in it to start. Anyway, if you do a base coat of pearl white and then let the head cool back down before you dip it into the candy color it only sticks on a super thin layer of the candy color. You can heat it back up then to get it to stick permanent and it will bond right in then with the thicker layer of white. Just make sure to let it cool off until it will only stick a tiny little bit again if you want to double dip to go a shade darker. Some of the candy colors can really go on thick (blue, purple, green) if you let them and the end result looks more like a traditional opaque color once you get a thick layer.

AllenOK

Thanks gents.

This is actually a rather smooth coat. I can feel the glitter, a bit, just like I've been able to with all the clear/glitter topcoats I've tried so far.

I actually do like this color. I'll have to do some stuff with it. AF, thanks for the tip about the Bass jigs like this. I'll put it on my "to-do" list for when things finally settle down in my life. I didn't mention it, but that's a 1/8 oz pillhead from Plateboater. Would I need to go bigger?

Remember the "Blue-Treuse" jigs I did this past Spring for my cousin? Those heads were a lot closer to what I was hoping to get. I did a white base-coat, then a top-coat with Dragonfly. I added a bunch of clear to the Dragonfly (almost the entire jar), as it wouldn't move much in my fluid bed. I never did get it to move a lot. But, I've just gone to Fluff-and-Stuff; I have better results with my heads now by doing that.

I still have some of these Blue Sapphire heads left. I may hold them back for something else, and do up some with the White/Dragonfly/Multi-Glitter and see if it comes out lighter.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Just spent an hour or so painting, relaxing with some music. :cool: Your white/dragonfly will definitely give you a lighter shade finished head color. I dug and found my original Sapphire Blue jar.......... and was hard pressed to get a light blue color from it. Tried both a silver and pearl (mica) base coat and no matter how thin the coat of blue, it seems to go on a bit dark. More of a royal blue and i was thinking i could almost get a teal blue. Nope. I will gladly eat my previous words.

My favorite LMB heads are a 1/4 ounce size round head but poured in tin (by Hawnjigs) so does come out lighter. 1/8th (3.5 gm) i use a lot because it is in between the extremes.... for my favorite rod/reel combo anyway. Bigger profile bass jigs tied on 1/16 ounce heads are true finesse jig. Tough to cast any distance but fall so slow that you can work them on the drop and get lots of hits. Excellent for super skinny water if the fish aren't shy. The 3/16 ounce and 1/4 ounce cast MUCH better which helps in the clear water i fish a lot. But it also means that it sinks much faster and digs in to the bottom resulting in more snags. 1/8th ounce is great for bass jigs in my opinion. The pillhead shape may not be ideal for bottom/structure/riprap fishing, but it will catch you fish......... if it doesn't get hung up first. ;)

Back