Blades for Road Runners?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Since I finally found some smooth spinning crane swivels, got a Do-it assorted small sizes barb collar Pony Head jig mold.
The best size for my area apps seems to be the 1/4 oz with 2/0 Gami 114 lite wire hooks.
Probably use 3" Gulp! twisters targeting walleye primarily with various bass varieties incidental.

I've only got hammered nickel #0 Indiana blades - might other types & sizes be useful?

Fatman

With a 1/4 oz and 2/0 hook you'd want at least a size 2 blade in any kind you want, that's what's fun about making your own.

A size 0 would be more for a 1/32 to 1/16th. On the inside of the mold they usually list recommended blade sizes but that's all it is, but with the size your making you'd want that bigger blade

Kdog

Fo it recommends a size 1 blade for the 1/4 oz head. I typically cast up to 1/8 oz and use a 0 or 00 blade. having played a lot, 1 size up or down works but a lot of time smaller is better. IMO weight of head is what controls the blade size. My 1/8 oz heads can use a #1 blade but only for very slow retrieves. any speed and there are major tracking issues and the jig seems to travel with the hook straight up.

Indiana Blades are an interesting option as are willow blades. IMO a #1 size is where I would start. #2 will maybe work but the bigger blades need to be fished slower. Thats what makes MYO jigs fun and interesting. You have endless combinations

JUNGLEJIM1

Hawn, I owe you and have a pretty big assortment of blades. I think size 1 or 2 would be best for that size head and hook. Let me send you an assortment. I had your address somewhere but send it to me and I'll get some in the mail.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I would go bigger blades. I made up some light round 1/16 heads and put pretty large Indy blades on a drop arm under a bucktail tie. I posted them on here as Spin Ties back in early December. Those jigs did not roll when i retrieved them slow, but they would start to list to the side when reeling full speed. My walleye fishing is done slow and steady so have no issues. I used Indy blades rather than Colorado because i thought i had better clearance when they spin.

Back