bibbed minnow, jigs and a new PB rainbow

bombora

Inspired by Keith's Miracle Mile report I drove over the mountains west of Sydney for the first trout trip of our new stream season.
We've had almost no rain this spring, things are looking a bit iffy. I hope we are not descending into drought yet again.
Not a good start to the trip. Went to pack the car to discover my first flat tire in years. And the spare was almost flat. Two and a half hours after I was meant to leave and a trip to the tire repairers and I was finally on my way.
The wild river's water was low and slow, but, as usual, see-through clear. Only had a few hours on the water because I got there late, and it was a frustrating few hours. Some fish in the pools, but they were doing that most frustrating of trout antics: following the jig to my feet, their noses just a few inches from the lure. Time and again.
A good night's sleep and back beside the river. Five hours of follows and frustration as the trout kept their follow but don't eat thing, and I tried all manner of jig styles and sizes, retrieves and casting targets.
So I changed to a bibbed minnow:dodgy:. Spotted a male and female in a shallow run, the first I'd seen which weren't in a pool. Cast ahead of the fish that appeared most active, and watched as it spied the minnow, charged it, and hammered it. Stunning fight, with many leaps and drag screaming runs.
View attachment 4
17 inch jack and beautiful condition.
An hour later I came across a fish working the tail of a small pool. Cast the same minnow and was walloped. The rainbow again went crazy with leaps and lunges, then kicked into fifth gear and took a dead straight run straight to the only tiny snag in the pool. Through the snag and then started jumping again. Flipped the bail arm over but no good. The leader eventually broke. Not happy at leaving a minnow with treble hooks in its mouth. Was a big fish.
This river has small slender olive backed baitfish in it and the few other minnow lures I had with me just didn't match them or were deeper divers which collected bottom junk on every cast.
As usual didn't see a human all day. The only other creatures on two legs beside the river were roos. Eastern Grey Kangaroos. Lots of em.
This fella was happy to watch for five minutes, I suspect he was the dominant male of his mob, just keeping an eye on me.
View attachment 5
The next morning I had intended on a quick fish before leaving. Ten miles of bush-bashing the day before left me aching all over, the only lure which appeared to be working was stuck in a fish's mouth, and I had lost my confidence. So packed up and drove off. But as I was crossing a tiny wooden single lane bridge on the dirt road on the way out I thought why not a few casts? Why not just a ten minute stroll along a section of the river which is slightly less rugged than my usual haunts to warm up my stiff legs. All that awaited me was a long drive back to a noisy city.
What to use? Damn, I'm a jig maker, gotta keep the faith.
So tied on a 1/32nd minnow styled rabbit tail. Immediately spotted fish. Again they just followed a few inches behind the jig. Watching one fish as I tried to get in position for an "intercept cast" I tripped, and fell straight into a stinging nettle. Yowzer!!!! Started wondering what bad karma crimes I was guilty of.....
Decided the one fish the day before was enough, and thinking what small hassles next lay in wait, started to walk back to the car. But, my hands and face throbbing from the nettle stings, could not resist literally one last cat in a small pool just twenty yards from the bridge. A solid rainbow appeared from no-where, paused and accelerated to light speed. She smashed the jig in full view like the other two fish.
Again, huge leaps and lunges. Then, I swear, she swivelled her head looking for a snag, and saw one at the other side of the pool in that crystal clear water. The run had the drag screaming and she was heading straight for the snag. Not this time, I'd learned my lesson. Rod in full arc and tilted for side pressure, hand on spool. Was using three pound Crystal Fireline and four pound flouro leader over a 7'6" ultralight rod. Stop or pop! She stopped.
The fish then came relatively easily, until she was at my feet. Then she saw the thin log laying parallel to the bank below me and decided to hide under it. No waders on as I was driving home. Didn't want wet shoes and jeans for the three hours in the car (what a wimp!), so started taking my shoes off with one hand with rod in the other. Got shoes off, starting on socks and she emerges from the log, takes one last run and was mine!
Just shy of 21 inches and magnificently thick shouldered muscular hen which is my PB rainbow (PB trout of any kind to be honest!). Sorry for average pic, my camera decided then and there to play silly buggers.
View attachment 6
Faith in jigs rewarded!
The jig which worked is second from the right.
View attachment 7

Attachments

• jackminnow.JPG
    jackminnow.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 134
  • turonroo.JPG
    turonroo.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 136
  • pbbow.JPG
    pbbow.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 132
  • redfinquartet.JPG
    redfinquartet.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 136

toadfrog

Don't care what anybody says those jigs are way cool . Gonna force me to try to make some of those dang it ya just keep tempting me . I'm trying to kick a little bit of this habit of making everything I see . Like letting a wino smell the cork from the bottle . LOL

bombora

There were heaps of roadkill roos on the drive there. Almost stopped for some "supplies" but they were all really stinky and covered in blowies! I know the local fly guys use roo fur flies sometimes.
Toad I'm sure a simple tie would have also got the bigger fish, she was keen! But the pretty ties give me confidence when the fishing's challenging. And I enjoy making em!

jiggerjohn

Bombora, Great report and VERY attractive ties!! About a week ago I ran into that same trout-following-but-not-taking scenario on a mountain river during a warm bright day. I'd gone just to see the area and arrived at sunny noon in a popular well worked area ( reason for the drive,besides being an outstandingly beautiful Fall day to watch the spectacular leave colors, was so my 33 yr old son -the driver- could do some trail walking). I knew the conditions-tho highly enjoyable-were against me, and started to see the trailing trout in a really nice riffle/whirlpool area near shore. But the PROPELLER of my Boolie jig proved irresistable, especially with the 1/14 oz lure(heavy current) swinging &slightly diving during dropping phases of my retreive. Then they banged it with some regularity, tho this ole man was a little slow on the sets!! Remind me to send ya a few Boolies to try down there!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, nice rainbows even by Miracle Mile standards - fat & healthy. Sounds like you're learning more & more with each trip. I would guess you're thinking how nice a cabin or even some land to camp on in the area would be. Great pics!

After I popped off a nice 20+ trying to muscle out of some weeds very close to shore early in my MM vacation, I no longer hesitated to jump in to free up a snagged trout. Better than feeling guilty about the fish having to deal with an imbedded lure. This year quick drying nylon pants replaced my jeans.

Second JiggerJohn's suggestion about the attraction of props on jigs.

bombora

Yep I want a shack beside the river! Read my mind Keith (still want the shack beside warm water sand bottom left point too!).
Gotta try a prop jig. JJ I was also under sunny skies, middle of day and basking in warm weather, so will remember next time it's like that.
Shoulda just got wet, coming back down the mountains onto the coastal flats the temp was 95F.
Jim, some of the rainbows are apparently still trying to spawn, really late. Pic of the minnow eating buck hasn't been enhanced, I reckon he was still wearing his seduction suit!!
They are, to me anyway, such handsome fish in this river. Californian San Francisco Bay steelhead stock!!!!!

SaltyBuckster

Congrats on your PB trout.Time to go and beat it now.Great pics too.Have you ever thrown a Rapala or inline spinner into that stream?I'de have to at least give it a try.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, what kind & size of bib minnow got the big gal? Only a tail hook? I'm not forgetting that my jigs got spanked(claimed) 7-1 by a 3" Rapala up at the Mile on a tuff day.

Mountain hermit property tends to be much more affordable than anything near a sandy beach. Goofy foot are yah?

Your trouting outpost appears to be an undiscovered haven - hope the word doesn't get out. Trout are pretty tasty, but your resource seems too fragile to harvest.

Not meaning to offend, but are kangas edible?

StumpHunter

Wow, a very good report about your trip. Enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics of the trout and roo. Congrats on catching your PB trout, awesome! Thanks for sharing.

bombora

Bruce and Keith, had a couple of old F3 rapalas and tried one after the successful minnow was lost. I know they are a go to trout lure but didn't get even any follows with it. Really wide wobble compared to the successful minnow, which is/was a Strikepro Smelter, about 1 and 3/4 or two inches long.
Do you guys get Strikepro lures there? They are a mid-price/cheaper lure here, but pretty well made. Has the usual belly and tail trebles, but a really small, curved bib creates a tight shimmy action. Translucent minnows all the rage here in saltwater ultralight luring in clear water. They are about 12 bucks at the closest tackle store, where a rapala F3 is 18 bucks!
The wild river rainbows, which are put into the river as fry or tiny fingerlings, seem to like small lures, with less pronounced action. I also tried a little 1/16th belly spinner (tied after discovering them on Jigcraft!) and no go either.
Keith, roo is sold everywhere, it's on all the supermarket shelves! Really really tasty, I love it on a barbie, and super healthy, with the lowest fat of any red meat in the world. People find it strange we eat our national emblem, but there are heaps of em and they do less damage to our fragile environment than hoofed creatures like cattle.
And yep, a goofy:D.
"My" river has a bit of a reputation as a tough fishery with its see-thru water and rugged terrain, but I've decided I like the challenge! Prefer it to some others nearby which have many more, but smaller, fish in less clear water.

bombora

Here's a closer look at the Strikepro lure:
View attachment 3
It does have a belly treble!
And only other pic of the almost 21 inch PB. Shows how thick shouldered she was:
View attachment 4

Attachments

• jackbowminnow.JPG
    jackbowminnow.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 31
  • closepbbow.JPG
    closepbbow.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 29

Hawnjigs

KISS
Strike Pro lures are available in the USA at for example Cabela's, but not the Smelter model.

Since apparently bib minnows are useful in a tuff bite pinch, I'm thinking of getting some just in case. Is the Smelter a sinker? - if so then the Rapala "Ultra Light Minnow" might be a comparable available here.
http://www.rapala.com/Ultra-Light-M...ow,default,pd.html?start=49&cgid=rapala-lures
I would remove the center hook, and switch out the tail treble with a double.

So, Bombora, whats the plan for next time, which I assume you're anxious to schedule in ASAP?

bombora

Keith it's a suspending lure, which I love for keeping in a fish's face, in freshwater, and a slow riser in saltwater. Gonna buy a few more and probably change the trebles to some very cool Japanese singles made for lures.
Not sure when I can get up there again. Back at work and chaotic. Hoping for a quick trip in a couple of weeks. Though the yellowtail are on the chew at the reef a few miles from home, so might sneak out on the big blue one morn next week. Bloke got a 40 pounder yesterday.

Back