Beer-Brined Smoked Swordfish

hhawkins

The local family owned grocery store started saling swordfish this past week, which of course made my mouth water :rolleyes: And this will be a good recipe that poor Scott won't get sick on.

Beer-Brined Smoked Swordfish
2 - 2 1/2 pound Swordfish steak, about 1 inch thick

Brine;
4 cups of a brown ale
1/2 cup of cousre sea salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup of pickling spice

In a meduim saucepan, combine all brine ingredients together and bring to a boil, stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Reduce heat to meduim and simmer brine for 15 minutes, Set aside to cool.
In a 8x8 or 9x13 glass or ceramic pan (metal pans would give the fish a funny taste), place swordfish in pan and strain brine over fish, make sure the fish is completely submerged. Let fish sit in brine for 2 - 4 hours.
Prepare your smoker like you would normally. Wood to use is good ole hickory or pecan.
When smoker is ready, rinse brine off of fish. place fish in a disposable aluminum pan. PLace in smoker and smoke for 1 hour. Fish should flake when done

ScottV

Sounds good. No crab in that recipe. I would have to double the beer though. Gotta keep the cook hydrated. LOL

hhawkins

ScottV said:
Sounds good. No crab in that recipe. I would have to double the beer though. Gotta keep the cook hydrated. LOL

Stump Hunter you really need to get a hold of a smoker. It is one of my favorite things to cook in.

I wouldn't want the cook to dry out. You do know that it is a proven fact by doctors, that a beer (or 2) a day keeps the doctor away.

Back