Been making lures for a long time, looking for new ideas.

Arne

Stumbled across this site this morning. Decided to join up. Always looking to learn new ideas, maybe can help others a bit. Arne.

JigCraft

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to JigCraft! Glad you joins us Arne! We got plenty of ideas, and folks to chat with.

-B

Hawnjigs

KISS
Ah, a fellow Nebraskan. What are you making or have you made?

Looks like your home town is pretty far from fishing spots?

Arne

yep, many of them within about an hour or so though. Spend most of my fishing time down at Glen Elder in Kansas, tho. We have a cabin (actually an old trailer they used when the dam was built) down there. Probably most fishing will be done for me til spring time. Used to go out to the canal below lake Ogallala a couple times during the winter. Don't get around like I used to so havn't been there for quite a few years. Anyway time to get work done around the house, build some lures and try to keep my bride happy. Been trying for 50 plus years and still dont always manage to. Arne.

hookup

Keeping the bride happy allows you more time to fish!

Enjoy the addiction. The archives are full of tips. If you come up with a new bait post pix.

Good crew from all around the world here

Hawnjigs

KISS
The diversion canal below Lake Ogallala is completely dried out along with the entire east basin of the lake itself ! Been here 8 years and thats a first. The north basin still holds water but cupla days ago I didn't get a bite exploring including a long walk over silt flats to the old river channel which is barely trickling.

Maybe fisheries management did another fish kill to get rid of carp & suckers which of course destroyed the trout fishery too. Oh well start over and maybe in a few years the lake & canal MIGHT be fishable again.

Bigjim

Around Hastings is a business park ?? When I had my semi, I delivered there and it looked a lot like what we call the arsenal here from WWII. That was closed in the 40's. But the ammo bunkers are still here. My bride and I have 43+ and still holding hands.

Bigjim

Been to that welding shop in Valentine too!! Nice diner in town there.

Arne

The diversion canal below Lake Ogallala is completely dried out along with the entire east basin of the lake itself ! Been here 8 years and thats a first. The north basin still holds water but cupla days ago I didn't get a bite exploring including a long walk over silt flats to the old river channel which is barely trickling.

Maybe fisheries management did another fish kill to get rid of carp & suckers which of course destroyed the trout fishery too. Oh well start over and maybe in a few years the lake & canal MIGHT be fishable again.
Wow, the only time I knew of when it got down a long ways was when that young fellow drowned there. They were looking for his body. We were out there the day he fell in, that ruined it for me, don't think I have been back since then. Anyway, the canal has always been a little known secret. Have always been able to catch big trout there. No great trophies but lots of trout that are bigger than most places. Was thinking about running out there one of these days now that we have shut the cabin down at Glen Elder. Guess it isn't worth the time now. It will come back, tho. Get a bunch of snow in the mountains and break the cycle of no rain. Hope I live that long, lol, Arne.

Arne

@Hawnjigs What does big Mac look like? Hope it still has decent water in it. Havn't fished it in years either. Little story about carp in the canal. Was at Paxton above one of the gates, bunch of foam, sticks, and stuff circling, carp were sucking at the top of the water. Took a chunk of nitecrawler and let it down by one of them, slurp run upstream and down thru the gate. Water was runnin fast and he gone. Lol, great fun tho. Arne.

Arne

Around Hastings is a business park ?? When I had my semi, I delivered there and it looked a lot like what we call the arsenal here from WWII. That was closed in the 40's. But the ammo bunkers are still here. My bride and I have 43+ and still holding hands.
Where you from Big. Jim. East of Hastings was a huge ammo depot during WW2. When my kids were little we would drive by there and tell them the bunkers were baby volcanoes. Before my time out here tho. Actually before my time anywhere. Far as I know no fishing around there. Arne.

Bigjim

Crawford county PA. I live in a little town called Atlantic.. We have the same thing one township east. 50000 acres of a former WWII ammo plant. The bunkers are houses etc now. The main buildings are junk now. But the old roads etc are all still here. They closed it ,they day after the war ended. I helped a company scrap stuff. Lockers with workers belongings in them, fire trucks, just all kinds of history type stuff. The only thing that did not get scrapped was old soda machines!! They were sold, they were still like new. Two really good fishing lakes on the property too. I used to bass and crappie fish in them - jim

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Lake Og diversion canal ain't a secret no mo since this guy posted on YouTube.
Thereafter the canal was hammered by crowds of Colorado visitors.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Lake Mac is 20' down from primetime last year late Spring into early Summer. My walleye spots rocky holding structure is now VERY high & dry and only sediment flats remain. I only fish shoreline, no boat.

Fishing above fast water gates is a suicide mission if a big fish hits. After my first experience gave that up.

Arne

Maybe get a bunch of snow in the mountains this winter and will get some water come springtime. Course gotta fill all those dams in Wyo. first then the water trickles down to us. Arne.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Someone told me there was a bunch of lead ingots stored in an abandoned WW2 concrete bunker in the jungle outside Hilo town on the Big Island of Hawaii back when I lived there. I found the bunker but there were only empty pallets left. Did find a big brass artillery shell casing outside tho.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Drought expected to continue here with La Nina forecast so may have to hit the road for wallys next year.

Maybe pull out the back seat of my CRV and setup a sleeping platform. Advantage of being a small guy.

Guy I know Mike can never take him to my spots on the rocks. At a beefy 6'5" its a long way down to crash on a slip or misstep.

Last edited:

Bigjim

The lead storage here was emptied in 70,s they say. Inside the builing for the water supply is overhead crane that looks brand new still after 80 yrs.

Back