Bat Jig casting issues

Kdog

The Do-It Bat Jig has been out quite a while now and I finally broke down and bought one. I like the fact that all 7 sizes take the same hook and wire keeper. Have a limited supply of keepers so have not done a lot of experimentation. I have cast a bunch w/o the keeper and kinda like the jig.

I have had a few casting issues (mostly my problem) but feel it is a very sensitive mold to cast. I am sure I am not the only one with the mold and would love to hear of an issues otheres are having or had and what did you do to alleviate the issue.

Barefoot

I read where others have had trouble with seasoning the mold and needed to pour some hook less heads to warm up the mold as well as warming hooks / keeper before casting. My aluminum molds from Collins are like that.
I like that design also.

Kdog

I preheat my mold so no problems with fill. I did coat the mold with drop out. I messed around this AM for quite a while with it and think I'm gonna need to tune it a bit or send it back. 2 cavitites have bad eye slots starting out.

As far as fishing, I gave 6 to a buddy right after I got the mold. He lost all of them Saturday, caught some fish but said they like rocks and stumps as well as any jig he has tried. So the claims that they are less prone to hanging in timber are IMO highly suspect.

Streetwalker

The BAT jig is the mold that has given me the most problem. I finally got to the point where I was getting around 75% production from it.

1. PURE lead.
2. FLUX the lead.
3. Treat the mold. I used Drop Out.
4. Keep that mold HOT.
5. Using my RCBS pot instead of my Lee pot made a huge difference. I tried with both 10 and 20 lb Lee pots.

The area of the mold I had the most problem with was the small collar. The smaller the jig size the tougher it is. The three smallest sizes are tough. With the hook and keeper in there the lead cools real quick. I found if I loaded the mold then poured lead into the outside of the mold (area where the works are) on both side then those sizes would cast pretty well. Adding that extra heat gets the keeper and hook heated up.

QPassage

I've had issues pouring these also especially the smaller 2 sizes.   I have found though if you ladle pour and increase the lead temp some it helps a bunch.  They make a beautiful tie.
Bat1.jpg

jig-guy

Hot mold, warm hooks, real hot lead, ladle 3" 1 pound, I use the 20 pound pot. I do pre-heat mold with the lead and no hooks. I do not pour small jigs much any more most are 2 to 6 oz. I use in the ocean.

Fatman

When I saw the first ones from the ICAST video I was prepped to buy it, and then when it finally came out and it had that little lead collar I said NOPE!!!

QPassage

Yes the collar can be a painful issue FM.  
But I really like the options with this mold.  It has the wire keeper which can be poured with or without.  I took a dremel tool and cut where the wire keeper is straight on out on mine.  This allowed the belly spin option.  I also like this jig as a mini spinner bait.  I hate the cost of the special hooks but really like the looks of it.  So I'll continue to buy the proper hooks.  

bat%202.jpg

bat.jpg

Back