Basic Powder Paint Mixing

Pup

Did a little mixing recently with some basic powder paint colors. I thought that the results of the mixes came out well. Though, I'm
not sure that the camera shot agrees with me.

mixedhfpp003.jpg

The two chartreuse jigs at the top have burnt orange heads. This color is formed by mixing Harbor Freight's red and yellow in a 1:1 ratio. The gray jigs in the picture have heads with a "pixelated" gray color formed by a 1:1 mix of Harbor Freight's white and matte black powder paints.

Both colors look pretty good to me at a distance. I thought that these examples might be of interest to someone wanting to get started mixing and painting with just a few colors. Harbor Freight's powder paint is relatively inexpensive and sold by the pound.

hhawkins

Pup, those are nice colors. I've been wanting to mix a hot pink with an orange. I'm wanting to come up with a tropiciana orange color. I have a nail polish that is called Toyko Doll that I have used in the water, the bass love this color. The color is awsome!

Lost Pole

THOSE look great, pup
I've made that same grey with HF paint. Almost looks like an aged plain lead head but It's got black n white specs in it and looks very good. I think its a good bait color Don't remember the ratio but also made a peach SOMEHOW.

Radtexan

Here's a fairly basic chart if you want to experiment with some additional colors..

To Make: Mix:
Aqua: Add a small amount of Blue to Green
Coral : Add a small amount of Yellow to Pink
Dusty Rose: Add a small amount of Black to Red
Light Tan: Add a small amount of Black to Orange
Magenta : Add a small amount of Red to Wine
Brown: Add a small amount of Blue to Orange
Moss Green: Add a small amount of Red to Green
Gray: Add a small amount of Black to White
Pink: Add a small amount of Red to White
Purple: Add a small amount of Blue to Red
Teal Green: Add a small amount of Black to Green
Wine: Add a small amount of Red to Purple
Lime: Add a small amount of Green to Yellow
Turquoise: Add a small amount of Green to Blue

Radtexan

Clear does a couple of things for me..When added,even to a solid color it gives a translucent or almost candy effect.

I do use alot of different glitters in mine.The clear is a great "carrier" for the glitters.Ive seen so good top coats with the glitter,but I still mix mine in with the paint.

Most colors Ill use somewhere between a 5-1 to 10-1 ratio of clear to paint...

This would be close to 5-1
Tiein2-27008.jpg

10- 1 ratio approx.
Tiein2-27002.jpg

Pics really dont show the true candy look it will give ya.

Lost Pole

Wow.
Lil confused on the mixing ratios though.
My fluid bed is 2" and I only need 3 teaspoons of paint for it.
So say I was doing a 5:1…?
Also, im assuming youre getting your glitter from hobby stores. Are you using a specific size as far as the "flakes". Id think the smaller the better?

Radtexan

Id mix my color as I want it then add to your bed.. When Im making small batches 1/4 tsp of color to 2tsp of clear is about right.thats approx 8-1 adjust up or down from there..

They do sell high temp glitter,but yes mine are craft store,and Ive had no problems with it...Smaller flakes are best

Pup

Thank you all for your comments. :)

Thanks RT for your info on PP and the mixing combinations. Great-looking jigs too. :icon14:

Here's one other combination that I made last night. Mixed a 1:1 ratio of Harbor Freight's respective red and white powders to create a "pixelated" soft pink color.

mixedhfrw003.jpg

Back