Arkansas fishing

hookup

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The section we floated was an Arkansas trophy small mouth section of the Kings river. We spent five days floating the river. Camped on gravel bars every night except one where we stayed at a camp ground where my car was so we could restock beer & fresh food. We ate good every night.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Didn't catch any trophies - I think. Did catch a few 15.5" smallies, and for as small as that stretch was that could have been a trophy? Also caught an Arkansas bass - which is basically a google eye or red eye on steroids. It was about 10' long - pig for a panfish. We had to fish hard for the fish because the river was unforgiving if you messed up navigating her. Everything on minnow style bait - we used mostly soft plastic minnow patterns - grubs, small swim baits, stixbaits, flukes. No topwater - needed some lead to get down but not much.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]But the paddling was phenomenal. We had a thunderstorm the night before we started our float that put the river at flood levels and the outfitter was reluctant to put us on with a loaded canoe, warned us, told us to camp at the first gravel bar we came to, asked about our experience, then let us go our way. He gave us a 17' Wenonah and put us on the river, but called the office and told them to cancel anyone else who they were shuttling. We did about a third of the trip in the first day in four hours, then the river dropped and caught good numbers of fish the rest of the trip. Got skunked the first day, but that was expected. I never wear my life vest and I did on most of this trip. Very pushy river.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Saw two wasted hippie chicks paddling 1/2 (or maybe all?) naked but they new their stuff in the canoe. Kinda shows you the caliper of people who float rivers in Arkansas. It was very hillbilly with an eclectic mix of bikers, hippies, and baptists. We were in the bible belt in Eureka Springs, AR - Baptist churches not only on every corner, but also in middle of the block.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Had a blast, the drive was long. 2,500 miles round trip.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'll post some pix when I download them[/font]

hookup

Day 1 - launching with a full canoe in a flooded river

IMGP1261_zpsex4hhc6l.jpg

Grub's ready

IMGP1262_zpshpdt0hbd.jpg

End of day 1, canoe unloaded

IMGP1263_zpsxyrgvo4m.jpg

Day 1 camp sight

IMGP1264_zpsbtvdvibd.jpg

Typical view w/ cliffs, river & gravel bar

IMGP1268_zpskoqi1yac.jpg

Day 2 - river starting to clear and fish starting to get active

IMGP1269_zpsfqaspr3u.jpg

Day 2 camp site

IMGP1270_zpsdutpav8g.jpg

Another night's campsite

IMGP1272_zpsakcgio5j.jpg

River graffiti

IMGP1275_zpsbbtckilv.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, you bad boys were really ruffing it in some wild looking country. Surprising that the "trophy" area didn't give up bigger specimens. Tangle with any kitties?

The feeling of the place pictures brings to mind "Deliverance".

hookup

No Kitties

No banjos - little trivia.  Deliverance was a movie on a river in Georgia but I understand was filmed on the Greenbriar in WV

15.5" was our best - we both caught a couple that size

JUNGLEJIM1

The turnaround of the river from day 1 to day 2 is incredible, doesn't look like the same river. Typical for Ozark streams.

toadfrog

Dang I was looking for them hippie chicks . It is great to get away like that ain't it .

JUNGLEJIM1

Back around 1979-80 had a similar experience with hippie chicks, got a eye full that afternoon. They were smoking something when they floated past and it wasn't a Marlboro. This happened on the upper Meramec.

hookup

I'm in DC where weed was legalized last year. Smell it everywhere now and in front of the Metro someone's usually selling dime bags.

Back