anyone use do it 3070 mold for tube skirt jigs

tckurt

anyone use Do- it 3070 mold for tube skirt jigs. I would like to find out
how long the body it makes is on the 1/32oz .trying to match some jigs
to make them but I called do it and she said 5/8 of inch long body and that
sounds pretty long for for 1//32 oz. the white one is the one i am trying to get a mold to make i
think it is the do it 3070 tube skirt mold but would like to be sure also i think they
used # 8 hooks to make this but Do-It was of no help at all. the bare lead one is a 1/32 oz
store bought tapered tube skirt head any help.
View attachment 7

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 71

toadfrog

For some reason the white head just dose not look right . That's a short shank hook as well and in a Do-It mold the tip point would have to have a recess made to fit . So I would guess it's a custom mold or a modified mold .

tckurt

thanks toadfrog if i have to get a custom made someplace then so be it but
sure would like to find out if the Do-it mold has same cavity size then i could
open up for the hook to fit it.i think

tckurt

also if i can not find the mold anyone have a good place to send this to and get one made

Fatman

I have that mold at home - I'll post you a pic when I get home tonight of the jig head and show the size. The smallest hook I've poured is a size 10 gold mustad. I bought a bunch from Toad. And he's right you might get the short shank hook in the mold but you'll have to cut a groove or when you close it the tip of the hook could get mashed.

Pics to come later!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've seen & used a lot of jig hooks, and that heavy wire micro is unfamiliar. If its tinned I would guess its a vintage discontinued Mustad or Seeley, and if black nickel maybe a Japanese hook. Hard to tell if the hook is a 90* or 60*? If the head is a 3070 1/32, the hook eye socket had to be modified to fit the short leg hook.

toadfrog

Fatman said:
I have that mold at home - I'll post you a pic when I get home tonight of the jig head and show the size.  The smallest hook I've poured is a size 10 gold mustad.  I bought a bunch from Toad.  And he's right you might get the short shank hook in the mold but you'll have to cut a groove or when you close it the tip of the hook could get mashed.  

Pics to come later!!

Put the short hook in the cavity . one at a time ! then close the mold till you trap the hook . Lay the aluminum part flat on a work bench . Smack the s**t out of it with a big rubber mallet . Go to next cavity until done . Can't tell you how many times I've done that .

tckurt

Well things may be looking better guys just noticed I got an email back from Do-it
and the 3070 mold is said to be 3/8 like the white one I have in the photo.
now I can buy the mold no problem if it is 3/8 i hope as they told me this morning it was 5/8

now the hook o boy another adventure : how would mustad 32760 compare to this?
then were in the heck ya find the dang things? janns,barlows and couple
others have the mold but not that hook.
any ideas ? o and let me not forget thanks for all the help so far guys.thank you!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as i saw the hook in the white head i was thinking it was one of the newish 60° jig/fly hooks because of such a short leg going to the eye. I even wondered if it could be a scud hook? Looks like a halfway sturdy hook with hell of a point too.

JUNGLEJIM1

I have the mold and the 1/32 is 5/16 inches long and the 1/16 is 3/8 inches long. Hope this helps. I was measuring the mold cavity and not a jig head. Haven't used the mold in a few years.

tckurt

Just got a 3070 mold in the mail from JUNGLEJIM1 now i can try and make these.
thank you you very much JUNGLEJIM1

Back