Any Ideas ??

SaltyBuckster

I need to make a jig that looks like this one:
http://mmrf.us.com/eppeanutbutterbaitfish.aspx
I want to make it in a 3/4 oz. Wedge head Like this one,I have enclosed a pic of the bare jig.Not sure how to make it wide and flat like the pic shows.Sorta like a bluegill.It should be 3 to 4 inches long with a 3/0 hook.I think that I have to just stack the bucktail up on top and down on the bottom with a thin covering to hide the collar on the sides.Just worried about all the thread wraps around the collar to put on the bucktail.Any ideas ??

SaltyBuckster

Step #1, Completed.I'm going with black on top,blue in the midle and then chartruse on the bottom.I figured to tie long hairs in the middle and make them a 1/4" shorter as I go to make it chubby,lol.

quivira kid

That fly is made with Puglisi fibers, not bucktail. In that style, you have several tie-in points, not just one. Start with your bottom color. You cut off about the right length of material, make part of it shorter or longer to give it a top or bottom taper depending on whether you're tying in the fibers on top or bottom. Start tying in about the barb. Use the same tie-in point for a top/bottom set. Then move up a little and tie in another top/bottom set. And continue until you're up by the jig head.
Go to flytyersdungeon.com and get his Congo Hair. It's waaaay cheaper than the EP fibers and it's the same thing, pretty much.
It's really pretty easy once you get the technique down. One tip I've picked up is that you don't need as much material as you think. Less material makes it slim down like a minnow, more material doesn't let it "breathe" quite as much and you'll get a chunkier shape.

That make any sense?

SaltyBuckster

The jig itself is for ocean stripers and bluefish.The first jig turned out otrocious,lol.I won't show it.lol.I learned that I have a long way to go before I am a fly tyer.I have three to show.Of course non of them look like what I wanted them to.From top to bottom is my prosession.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
AZ - your bucktails look good, like the multi-colors and nice paint jobs. :cool:

QK has it dead on, that is an EP Minnow style fly.

I saw OKStatejiggy make up a jig with EP fibers a loooong time back on CDC and JoJoPro did something similar (here on JigCraft) using synthetic yarn with his bunker minnow. He also did a tutorial... Egg Eating Bunker Minnow

Here is a different tutorial from Charlie's FlyBox showing how its done for a fly... EP Minnow

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
AZ those look great the way they are. If you wanted more flare you could just build up the collar just behind the thread wraps.

Back