Another rod ...

hookup

Continueing to replace lost/broken rods, I started another.

Buddy got into building rods about 10 years ago, built two, then gave up. But he had a GL Loomis blank sitting around for years that I bugged him ... then finally a couple years ago he called a day before we went fishing & asked if I wanted it. After bartering a bit on the price, we came to a number we both could agree on and it sat in my rack for a couple years.

I usually trim the reel seat to fit the foot of the reel I plan on using. I trimmed the reel seat to much & didn't have any reel seats left in my stock.

I was looking through my old rods that I broke, and found one with a Fuji soft touch reel seat & decided what the heck, I'll try to take if off & if I break it, so what, I've already considered it a loss. Cut the handle & blank about 1/4" above the seats, trimmed all the cork down to the reel seat, then since I use graphite arbors, got my smallest drill & drilled the arbors on both sides of the reel seat using the blank as a guide. Hit the blank piece that protruded over the reel seat & worked out the seat. Cleaned off all the rod bond (epoxy) & it's as good as new.

Turned down the arbors & cork piece behind the reel seat this afternoon - still use the old wrap-a-drill-in-a-rag-and-clamp-it-in-a-table-vise trick. Then I take an old drill bit, add tape until the cork piece jams in tightly and put a small clamp on the trigger of the drill.

The fore grip and butt piece came ready made but I had to drill out the hole to fit the blank.

Here's some pix so far .....

IMGP0924_zpse000d59b.jpg

IMGP0925_zps9db1a1a8.jpg

hookup

JJ

The blanks a SJ723 - 6', 3 power (MH), 8-15# test.

I figure it'll be an awesome jerkbait rod

I'll bring the rod upstairs from the basement tonight, where the temps are about 10dF warmer so that the epoxy will get a good cure.

Tomorrow, I work, then Sat/Sun will start placing guides. The guides came off the same rod I salvaged the reel seat from. They are titaneum coated silicon carbonite concept spinning guides.

A typical spinning rod has one cone of flight for the line. The concept has two. One cone of flight to where the a line from shaft for the spool intersects the blank, then a second that 'shoots' the line off the blank. The literature says it gives a longer cast than conventional spinning guide set ups. Not sure if the literature is correct or not, but it sure sounds good.

hookup

Guides are on it, first coat of flex coat on the threads have been applied, still need to add a finding coat of flexcoat (epoxy) and apply the stickers then it'll be ready to fish.

Back