Anchoring Soft Plastics on Jigs....

macon1

I found some plastic tubing that works well on jigs.  It holds well by holding soft plastic trailers on the hook shank without tearing up the soft plastic trailers. I found it for 3 dollars and fifty cents for a hundred foot roll.  I start by cutting some pieces of the tubing to fit the jig.  It goes from the jighead back to where the hook begins its bend.
I'm using 1/16 ounce jigs with a 1/0 hook, generally speaking it's like an aberdeen type hook body with the round lead head.  I then apply some super glue to the straight shank of the hook, then work the tubing with a back and forth  spindling motion as you slide the plasting around the curve to the lead head.

Let dry for a day.  Now when getting ready to use.......Start your thread at the lead head and wind it firmly back to midway.  This will secure the plastic sleeve in the dried glue to keep it from moving......wrap from the midpoint to the head and back to midpoint, now you may create your skirt as you work the thread forward. then giving a final wrap to make the thread collar and finish.  Now, when you put on the minnow or craw, worm or grub, you simply advance the soft plastic around the curve , onto the black tubing and up against the skirt.  Now the effect is that of concealing the leading part of the lure hiding in the skirt.

Google Pepperell Braiding Co. They will list their phone and you can get the roll, just be sure you ask for the Black Pony Bead Lacing, as it has the gripping effect.

Good Fishing, Mac

macon1

Hey George, doing well and looking forward to the upcoming break in the heat. Been hot and humid all summer so far, but looking up for next week.

Not fishing much, but must say I've tied a slew of jigs. Did manage some early season shore fishing and that was fun, but don't take the heat well. Been tying with some new materials
and they are working well so far........will talk more about them after time on the water.

Spent a week at the Omni Shorecrest acting my niece's wedding. Hope the name of the hotel is correct, we all had a great time. A slew of little restaurants just a block over, good food and good prices. Having supper at the church and should be getting spiffied up. Thanks for the Howdy Do......will keep in touch, Good Fishing, Mac

macon1

Hey George,  doing well and looking forward to the upcoming break in the heat.  Been hot and humid all summer so far, but looking up  for next week.

Not fishing much, but must say I've tied a slew of jigs.  Did manage some early season shore fishing and that was fun, but don't take the heat well.  Been tying with some new materials
and they are working well so far........will talk more about them after time on the water.

Spent a week at the Omni Shorecrest acting my niece's wedding.  Hope the name of the hotel is correct, we all had a great time.  A slew of little restaurants just a block over, good food and good prices.  Having supper at the church and should be getting spiffied up.  Thanks for the Howdy Do......will keep in touch,  Good Fishing, Mac

macon1

Hey George,  doing well and looking forward to the upcoming break in the heat.  Been hot and humid all summer so far, but looking up  for next week.

Not fishing much, but must say I've tied a slew of jigs.  Did manage some early season shore fishing and that was fun, but don't take the heat well.  Been tying with some new materials

Spent a week at the Omni Shorecrest acting my niece's wedding.  Hope the name of the hotel is correct, we all had a great time.  A slew of little restaurants just a block over, good food and good prices.  Having supper at the church and should be getting spiffied up.  Thanks for the Howdy Do......will keep in touch,  Good Fishing, Mac

Hawnjigs

KISS
What type and length of soft plastics are you favoring ?

Yah, hot summer here in NE too - been dawn patrolling a cooler moving water canal from a reservoir bottom outlet flow exclusively.

macon1

The craws are from NetBait and are called Tiny Chunks, the color is ALABAMA CRAW. It's a darkish green on top with a gold-orange underside. For the minnows I also tie the skirt with the eyelash yarns and then add on the tiny flukes from Zoom. I buy the light silver ones thinking the color is ALBINO. I color the tails with the charteuse Spike It. The worms are the very supple C-tail worms in black from Zoom. All three are tied with skirts to make the lures behave in a Slow Fall Manner on a 16th ounce jig.

macon1

The lengths are slightly over 2 inches for the craws, 3 inches for the tiny flukes, and 6 inches for the C-Tail worms in black.

hookup

Finally cooled down in the mid-Atlantic region. I'm luv'n it. No a/c, windows all open, little rain. It's all good.

Back