All set to tie...

Barefoot

About 150 painted up and ready to tie.
The earballs, wobbles and sparkies will be tied with congo hair or bucktail & flash and will be used to target Pompano.
The earballs are 1/2 oz. and will go split ring and power swivel to a 2/0 Gamakatsu SC15.
The wobbles are 3/8 oz. with a 2/0 Mustad 32746.
The sparkies are 1/2 oz. with a 2/0 EC 413.
The bananas are for targeting redfish; they are 1/2 oz with a 4/0 EC 635 and will be tied with bucktail, flash, marabou & plastic.
Looking forward to getting back into it.
paintedjigs.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yay, another salty guy. Where are you?

Your pompano must be pretty good size - some sample 1/4 & 3/8 jigs I got had #2 and #1 Dai-ichis. If you want a stronger hook for the wobbles, Owner 5313 and 5316 can fit.

toadfrog

I do a little of that salt water stuff my self . Purely by accident . Made a few for a friend knowing nothing about salt fishing . Within a year I wound up burning up 75 lbs of lead every 2 weeks . At that point I said nuff is nuff. So watch out unless your not lazy , old and senile like me .

Barefoot

Hawnjigs said:
Yay, another salty guy. Where are you?

Your pompano must be pretty good size - some sample 1/4 & 3/8 jigs I got had #2 and #1 Dai-ichis. If you want a stronger hook for the wobbles, Owner 5313 and 5316 can fit.
The Pompano are of good size around here. I fish the barrier islands which are 10 - 12 miles off the Ms. coast. Very little pressure and lots of fish. The smallest hook I use is a 1/0 and 2/0 is fairly standard from here through the Fl. panhandle.
Thanks for the Owner suggestion. The standard bronze hook for this mold was way too flimsy and I settled for the black nickel which barely fit the mold. This will be the first try for the wobbles which should be a fine resemblance to a sand flea but I worry that the hooks will not hold up to lg. Pompano , Cobia or Redfish.
All the best,

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you are ready to roll. Love tying on the ball collars like those all have, makes it easy to get everything all nice and neat.

Welcome to the site....... too bad it is a long long ways from any saltwater for me. That kind of fishing sure sounds fun. :jig:

Barefoot

Radtexan said:
Very nice work BF !!! Love to see some finished jigs ! All powder paint ?
Thanks, they are all powder paint in varying degrees of glow and glitter.
I am practicing with a few experimental colors to get the feel back...
P1010002_01.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Hawnjigs

KISS
Holy moly another perfection tier! How do the swingers work for you? Before I started using jig heads for plastics I used that same swivel-split ring-hook(baitholder) setup with a sliding egg sinker, but think a fixed hook jig head had a better hookup ratio.

Barefoot

This setup works real well for Pompano and no problems with hookups that I can tell since I have never done the math / comparison. Rigging this way puts a lot more action / flash on the hook.
What I do notice is that I can't shake the Ladyfish off as easily with these as with the fixed hooks. My experience has been that once hooked, fish have a harder time throwing the hook with this setup.
For fixed set hooks I do like the stand-up jigs better than those that would lay on their side at rest since I am fishing mostly flat sandy bottom and targeting bottom feeders.

hookup

Nice job.
Make sure you post some pix of the fish you catch please

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho I live only 10 miles uphill from the coast, have to drive 100 miles to fish sandy bottom. Still, a hook upright design works better than a bump rolled point that ends up draggin' for a snaggin' in the rocks.

I've heard that ladyfish are considered trash fish out your way - over here they are a delicacy. The soft flesh can be scraped off the gazillion bones with a spoon and made into fish cakes. Most of the bones will remain attached to skin or spine and the tekneek takes practice.

Here's a pic of a heavier wire salt water Sickle that stock fits the Wobble mold.

SWwobble.jpg

Jig Man

Hola from west Texas barefoot, great lookin paint. Hope to see some pichers of some fishies soon...

Barefoot

"I've heard that ladyfish are considered trash fish out your way - over here they are a delicacy. The soft flesh can be scraped off the gazillion bones with a spoon and made into fish cakes. Most of the bones will remain attached to skin or spine and the tekneek takes practice."
Yeah, we will eat mullet & gar balls but not the Ladyfish....

creekychub

Those look great! I really need to get in on this swing jig action. Have you ever used a plastic trailer on one of those swing jigs? Or other types of hooks than the SC15? Even though I really like those short shank/wide gap/heavy gauge hooks...

Barefoot

I use the Owner Aki 2/0 when I can get them on sale. I have never tried a plastic trailer with these as I make them for Pompano and they are legendary short strikers so everything is kept close to the hook. A plastic trailer might work well for other species.

Back