Aitutaki

LedHed

Sponsor
Green with envy - what a place. Excellent trip and report.

Have caught jacks all over Baja and in Costa Rica - mostly on 10lb test line & swimbaits.

bombora

Led I love all jacks/trevally. They just go. And don't give up. And they love jigs. I really like how they look. Heaps of personality.
It was good to add a new name to the trevally/jacks species list!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Labomba, here's an idea, you being a surfo. Does anyone out your way paddle board fish? I did for a few years till my board rotted and I never replaced it. Fished the zone outside of shoreline casting distance and inside the preferred boating zone. Could launch anywhere I could walk into the water. Yes, I know you've got great whites & bulls, but we've got tigers and I'm still standing. Haven't boarded for over 20 years, but here's a glory days pic. Big advantage targeting reef diving predators from a float craft rather than shore.

View attachment 7

Attachments

• ulua.jpg
    ulua.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 43

bombora

That would have been an awesome GT fight Keith!
Have only fished from a longboard. Would see surface action just past the waves from my old apartment, run down and padlde out. Got bonito, false albacore, bluefish, Aussie salmon and yellowtail. Nothing like the size of your GT though.
But one day after heavy rain was pulling a bleeding bonito towards me, sitting on the board and my legs dangling, when a decent sized something flashed by in the gloomy water. Didn't eat the fish but was enough to make me think maybe pulling strugglng fish towards dangling feet not so smart
Then we had a few nearby attacks and I bought a cheap little sit on top kayak. Legs out of the water! Haven't had it out much while fixing my back.

toadfrog

If I can't see the bottom I ain't getting in it . Not even a deep bath tub . I don't care what kind of fish I might catch . Just like I ain't gonna jump out of a perfectly good plane . UH HUH NO!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Toad, if you could feel the THRILLs I experienced, you might. Most memorable was getting dragged out to sea a half mile after hooking up a few feet from a cove shoreline. Lost surely the catch of a lifetime when the mystery monster caved me with well over 100 yards of line out - straight down.

Those Ozzie species sound tasty - bet ya didn't have to buy much fish. All a longboard would need would be a plastic pipe pole holder glassed on. My first time paddled out on a 6' shortie with the rod butt in my teeth for a pan fry dinner which was manageable until a 20#+ amberjack grabbed the 8" snapper on my line. I actually welcomed the surf going flat thereafter. Well, good luck with your back issues - you're young enuf to heal.

Back