adding new flavor to old baits

steve r.

Adding New Flavor To Old Baits
By-Steve Roepke

If your like me, fishing is a way of life. every year, season to season, i find myself going to the "big box" sporting goods stores and stocking up on various lures. Here's an old trick that i use when finicky fish seem to look at your lure like a high school cheerleading captain looks at a geek!

Adding some "flash" to some old and exsisting lures in your box can prove to be a deadly move on your part, simple things like adding some bucktail to a treble on a spoon for say, could be the difference between going home skunked or perhaps going home with a trophy! The same can be done with jigs that dont come "factory" with hair. Marabou, crystal flash, or tinsel. When i do find myself in those said "big box' stores, i look for jigs that can handle a few wraps of my favorite material. When i'm on the ice, i get alot of guys that come up to me and ask "What Are They Biting On?", and generally it involves one of my modified jigs, the only response that i get is " do you have any more that you would part with?", or "i'll buy a couple from you!" wich in turn works out for the best for the rest of my weekend, as most guys will buy my jigs from me and pay for my bait! yippy! It also gets them coming back for more if those pesky pike get after them! yippy, yippy!! so the next time you find yourself in a "big box" sporting goods store, look for jigs or lures that will accomadate some added "flash" you wont be dissapointed!

Until next time, may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water! :jig::cool::D

-Steve

skeetbum

Look at the price of a couple of bucktail or feather trebles in a bait shop. Mine look better than theirs for pennies. Good point Steve.

Back