A question for the masters

AllenOK

I'm trying to get all set up for ice fishing.  That way it looks right now, I probably won't make it out this season.  But....

Everybody swears by tungsten ice jigs.  Ok, fine.  However, if I go to a bait shop, those things are anywhere from $2.50 - $5.00 EACH!  There are a few guys on FB that are selling hand-painted jigs.  However, this time of year, they orders backed up 4 - 6 weeks.

So, I'm thinking about painting my own.  I'll have to buy tungsten jigs from overseas, as nobody here pours/assembles their own domestic tungsten jigs.  I've seen some of the paint jobs these guys are doing.  Absolutely amazing.  I've realized there's no way I can match that with my feeble powder tapping.

I've heard these folks are using markers after apply a basepaint.  Probably fine-tip stuff for stripes, but a two-toned jig?  I'm thinking a one-color base coat, and maybe a Copic marker/airbrush thing after that.

My question is, if I go that route, can I then do a 200% Clear powder top coat?  Will the marker colors change, run, bleed, fade, etc.?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Never tried to clear coat over marker on a jig head, but don't see why it would not work. As long as it is indirect heat, it shouldn't burn off.

But..... i really don't use all that much tungsten. I do have a few, but dang do those little tungsten heads have tiny hooks. Way too small for my liking. Most of my jig heads for ice fishing are the same i use throughout the year for bluegill. 1/64 and 1/32 are the majority with #10 & #8 hooks. Just too hard to fit a waxie on a #12 hook. Maggots will work though. I even use 1/16 pretty often if i know there are crappie around. Jig those bigger hair jigs up high and aggressively, fish will let you know quickly if they are active enough to chase them.

Kdog

Not sure if the marker will hold up to curing without a color change, However, I have had a lot of success using D2T to topcoat over all sorts of media, ranging from acrylic paint, Magic markers, paper, foil and powdercoat.

Fatman

For the markers use the CS paint markers - you do have to clear coat after using them.
100_6821.jpg

Fatman

AllenOK

Ok, thanks! Once my tax refund gets here, I'm going on a shopping spree (or two) for tying materials. I will probably make a trip over to Dundee, MI, and hit the Cabela's there. Might even make a trip down to Netcraft, about 45 minutes from Dundee. I haven't made my mind up on that one. Might just make an order from Netcraft instead. Last year, the main reason I went to Netcraft was because I was also planning on hitting the BPS in Toledo. Did both in one day. Not planning on going to BPS this year.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I still do most of my ordering through Jann's but they must have completely changed their shipping service. Used to take 2 days to get to me, now it is over a week. Kind of comical since the store is located so close to me. I'm never in a big hurry for stuff so doesn't matter to me, just a heads up.

duffy

As a side note, I had bought a black marker and when it arrived it was like it was old stock as it was dried up. I called Jann's to ask if I needed to call the company or if they took care of these things. They sent me a new one out right away so check them when you get them.

AllenOK

AF, I noticed that as well the last time I ordered from them. I usually place orders early on a Tuesday morning; that's when I get paid via direct deposit. It takes me about 90 minutes to drive to Maumee. When I first moved up here, 2 days was all it took. Last time I ordered, on a Tuesday, and it was Saturday when it finally got here. Considering that, I might just make the drive, especially if I'm going to the Cabela's in Dundee.

Back