A fly becomes a spinner

StumpHunter

Been thinking about making some 1/16 oz spinners but wanted to come up with something different. This fly is tied using a #4 Octopus hook. The whole spinner ends up weighing 1/8 oz +/- a little. Haven't been tested but I will report on how well it works.

Attachments

• 20150903_124159_resized.jpg
    20150903_124159_resized.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20150903_123853_resized.jpg
    20150903_123853_resized.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 105

hookup

Tim Holschlag use to do the same thing but make an in line out of it. Killer on norther Small Mouth & kind w/o a treble.

Interesting job w/ a blade on the shaft w/ the fly & on the outside.

Len

Very nice StumpHunter....I think those would work on the Steelhead here this season.Do you make the wired spinners?

Hawnjigs

KISS
What species are you targeting?

IMO the extra flash might be attractive in certain situations, and the setup MIGHT offer snag resistance in wood or brush. Regardless, a creative venture into the outer limits of materials use.

StumpHunter

I'm going to use these for crappie and will be trolling them in stained water. I think these will have enough flash with the two spinners plus I'm hoping the bottom spinner will add a little more noise to the bait. The colors on the fly ( purple and chartreuse) has worked on the lake I plan to use these on.
Something that will give the fish a different look plus this lake has spotted bass and I think pulling them over the long points the bass will kill them. Going to be interesting to use them.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

StumpHunter

Len I buy the frame of the spinner and bend the rest myself. Just don't have the time to work with the wire like I would like to.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

davidriley

Those look really good. I bet they are effective.

You have given me an idea. A while ago I replaced all the trebles on my spinners with a long shank hook on which I inserted a curl tail grub. I caught a lot of perch on them. However if I replace the single hook arrangement with a fully dressed fly it may be even better. Gives me a good excuse to tie some more flies.

David

Pup

Interesting build with a great-looking tie. Am curious about effectiveness. Bet it'll work well. :cool:

redman

Stump the upper Midwest walleye fishermen have used that for years. They at least in our part of the Midwest called them killer rigs. They would troll them over the mud flats in the summer time. It worked as a in line spinner. At times it was the difference between failure and success. It would work better the hotter it was and I like to add a nightcrawler to the rig at that time. It was like offering a chocolate mint after a good meal they couldn't turn it down.

Redman

StumpHunter

Sounds great Redman!! It has been said before that nothing is new as it has been tried before somewhere :) LOL now I know how true that really is! Trolling them on flats is where they will get the workouts and I have found that most of the time if it works for Walleye it will work for crappie to. I will be trying them tipped with a small minnow and untipped. Seems I cant get on the lake as each time I try to something comes up to keep me off the lake. Will report asap

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a cool looking spinner. I'd be casting that on my spinning rod! Nice.

I have seen something similar to those that were very popular at one time for walleye in the Niagara River. The actual name of the fly is on the tip of my tongue, but can't seem to spit it out. If i remember correctly it was mainly a red/yellow wet hackle fly and they attached them to some type of spinner rig..... added on a night crawler and trolled them.

Back