A few hair jigs for the steelhead

Hawnjigs

KISS
At the risk of sounding tediously redundant, there are stronger jigs hooks available, including heavy wire Sickles.

waynesburgjay

I'll only be using a 4 or 6 lb. line on a 10 1/2 foot noodle rod so I don't worry about bending a hook. You kinda have to fish a light line in Erie due to the low clear water most of the time or you'd never get bit, otherwise I'd go heavy and yank them in.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Probably more satisfying to finesse battle? Nice that simple single color ties are adequate.

Thats a lot of jigs - do you lose many?

waynesburgjay

If I get up when the fish are running good and biting I can lose a few, later in the season most of the fish got a little jewelry hanging off them. Not real easy to get them in on light line when there's a lot of current you just got to take your time.

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice jigs, I like the thin profile. What size hooks are they? I've tied some steelhead jigs for guys in your area and most seem to prefer #6's with #4 2nd best. Light line and long rods are key. I'd love to try for them one day, no steelies here in Missouri.

waynesburgjay

There #4 hooks, I agree I think the #6 would be better. I was trying to copy a pattern called the mini-foo which is made with marabou, a lot of guys use them and the profile is even thinner than what I tied but they should work good.

eyecrosser

Have you thought about copying the crystal meth pattern fly to a jighead?? Could be lethal. Grew up 45 minutes from the Salmon River in N.Y. Have caught quite a few salmon and steelies there. Even got a Skamania a couple years back when I took some friends up. I miss that fishery but can do without some of the combat fishing that goes on in those tributaries. I used to love the winter months when cold and only the bravest would be out. Have caught them on both a noodle/drift rod and 9wt. fly rod. Lots of fly patterns out there that could be copied on a jighead. Good luck, always loved fighting those freight trains:)

eyecrosser

Have also had great luck using estaz in different patterns. Lots of folks use that crystal meth or sucker spawn. Any flesh fly or similar pattern that could be copied to a jig should work. Hope you slay'em:)

Back