A bunch of olives

bombora

G'day, been away a while.
Anyway, we get a run of anchovies every year, and of course everything wants to eat em. So I tied up some simple white and olive green minnows to match the hatch.
View attachment 1
They are 1/16th (tied on chub heads) and 1/8th. 1/4 and 3/8th tied on ultra minnow heads. The two biggest sizes tied with bucktail, the smaller ones with arctic fox. A bit of mixed flash, including some UV stuff, included in the tails, but not much so as to be overwhelming.
Got an average bonito on one.
View attachment 2
And a little snapper. Fast fish or reef lurker, they all like a feed of anchovies.
View attachment 3
The snapper was a bit special. Got him inside the harbour, which is home to a million billion little baby snapper about three or four inches long before they head out to open ocean. That's my first legal length snapper inside the harbour in 30 years! To finally get one on a home tie jig was a buzz.
Both were fooled by a 1/4 oz jig.
Lost that particular jg to a massive bonito of maybe 12 pounds when it sawed through too light a leader. Bummer.
Still trying to convince these guys, who turn up on the balcony whenever its cold and wet, to donate some feathers.
View attachment 4
View attachment 5
Great jigs as usual on Jigcraft.
My laptop firewall was saying lots of posts where infected and wouldn't let me open them but upgraded the computer protection and all's good now so have been gorging on pics of members' creations I haven't been able to view for ages!

Attachments

• oliveminnowjigs wide.JPG
    oliveminnowjigs wide.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 161
  • bonnie on jig closeup.jpeg
    bonnie on jig closeup.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 161
  • jig caught harbour snapper.jpeg
    jig caught harbour snapper.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 145
  • lorikeet sidehead.JPG
    lorikeet sidehead.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 161
  • lovey lorikeets 3.JPG
    lovey lorikeets 3.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 145

bombora

PS Jigcraft seems to have become a bit international while I was away!!!

hookup

Nice job on the jigs and fantastic fish'n pix.

Still trying to convince these guys, who turn up on the balcony whenever its cold and wet, to donate some feathers.

.177 pellet rifle would work -- just kidding. Pretty birds

bombora

Rainbow lorikeets. A type of parrot. They pair up for life. Several hundred roost across the road in Norfolk Pines.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Great to see you back and amazing stories as usual. Great pics. I'm not sure if i like the striped bonita or the spotted snapper better! The jigs look great as well. Those are very similar to the style that caught me plenty of walleye (zander) early in the spring. Can not wait till fall to get back out after them.

It is very cool to see all the international members. Goes to show that jigs are a sexy international language! Fishes just love 'em. :)

bombora

Good to be back. Been feasting on all the creations in this section! Jig glutton!

Back