60* eye

bucktail

Looking for some small 1/32oz  on #10 jigs with a 60* eye
I see they make a bead now with the slot for this very hook I'm looking for but going that way gets pricey quick, 
 it may be something I tye alot of ,is this anything a member is pouring?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Why do you need a 60* hook in a 1/32 head?  The most prolific angler I know JiggerJohn(& family) uses 90* #10 hooks in his micro jigs with consistent results. Check out Grandson Drae's chunky mama.

View attachment 8

Attachments

• Drae.JPG
    Drae.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 52

bucktail

Lol why do we need half the stuff we store away...I can make a 90*
I like to try different heads with my patterns ...although most of my fishing is for panfish and walleye
I have a few patterns I want to tye for trout with this style

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
After watching a buddy out ice fishing slam some panfish on the VMC Fly Jig and i struggled, i started buying a few different beads and now have a selection of the brass cyclops beads that i use for this same purpose.  The 'fly  fishing' jig hooks you can buy like shown in your picture (no barb) are very pricey.  I have been using some simple Mustad jig hooks and also using Mustad 3366 sproat hooks and bending the eye up.  Depending on the size of the hole in the beads, you may have to slightly bend out the hooks anyway to get the bead around the bend.  On some of the jig hooks, i bent the eye out towards 60° so the bead would slide up over the eye leg and the the bead rests right up against the hook eye.  Careful bending the lighter wire Mustad jig hooks too much though, their strength might get compromised.  The 3366 sproat hooks are much heavier and those i bend up probably close to a 45° bend.  I just bought a few different sizes of the cyclops beads and then started seeing which ones fit on the various jig/fly hooks i already had.

My knock-off of the VMC Fly Jig already saved the day for me on a trip a few weeks back.  Could not get bit on traditional larger kip jigs (even tipped with wax worms) and tried a #10 version of my VMC knock-off.  They must have liked the down-sized option.  Ended up bringing home a few bluegill for a snack at least.  I will post some pics up soon of the beaded jigs i have been tying.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Not sure if the pictured fly hooks will fit, but the Do-it STL-8S-A might fit 60* hooks. I have the heavier head larger hook STL-8M-A and I often bend 2x hooks to 60* to extend the shank lengths which fit OK since the hook eye position is slightly forward of center and the mold shank slots allow a fair amount of angular fit play. The finished head hook eye position with a stock STL mold probably won't be as far forward as the VMC Fly Jig, if that matters.

And yah, in my experience a downsize from 1/16 #6 to 1/32 #8 turned a dead bite into a hot one.

Back