4 New dye jobs

Fatman

Got 4 new dyes from Anglers Workshop

Fl. Chartreuse - mallard and a piece of silver fox
100_7545.jpg

Kingfisher Blue - mallard and a piece of arctic fox, screwed up and water was too hot so I saved what I could and wrapped it up with
a bag tie
100_7552.jpg

Claret
100_7561.jpg

Fiery Brown
100_7556.jpg

All bagged up
100_7565.jpg

Fatman

On feathers I try to be at 140-150, Fur pieces I try to stay at 85-95 and just let it stay in longer. Buddy over at one of my fly boards used to do commericial dyeing and he helped me out.

gaspumper

I have been dying bucktails with veniards dyes, the colors turn out good but they fall apart,I think the problem was using to hot of water. I will try a batch at 85-95 degrees and see what happens.How long do you leave the fur in the die for?I only tie bucktail jigs upwards of 4-5 thousand a year.Your feathers turn out a nice color.

Fatman

Yeah you used to high a water temp - that's what happened with the arctic fox I did with the kingfisher blue color, too high a heat and it cause's the hide to break up and or the hair to fall out. Luckily I saved a bunch of it by tying it up.

The arctic fox or other fur I did a few hours to really set it - but I'm only using a 1/4th of a teaspoon. Buck tail is a whole lot denser and everything I've read says it takes more dye, so I'd say 5-6 hrs. but check it after a couple of hours to see if it's soaking in - you'll want to agitate them to make sure the color is getting deep into the hair and if it's all the way in and you think it's done you could take one and rinse it to check the color and if it's good it may not take 5-6 hrs. but I'd bet a lot also depends on color?? I put a piece of arctic fox in last night with the fiery brown and after I rinsed it didn't like the color so put it back in the dye and it's still in there so I'll see when I get home from work.

One tip I got was once you put your water in and get the dye mixed up put a few drops of dawn dish liquid in then stir again and add your vinagar (Anglers says 3 tablespoons per quart of water) so I'd think you'd be using a whole lot more) but they'res nothing on the sheet with the Veniards dye saying how much.

Hope this helps

bucktail

Fatman I would like to pick your brain on dying tails a little more,I have a bunch of squirrel tails and want to dye a few
what kind of dye are you using? And what temp should I get water at?do you add tails after all is set ?pretty much my first time and I am only wanting to do a dozen maybe 4 of each color,thanks for any help,I sure like the vibrant colors you are getting in return

Fatman

I've been using Anglers Fly Dye from Anglers Workshop - If the bones have been removed keep your water around 100-120 degrees. I use Ball canning jars with the raised letters or if you have your own pyrex glass pans you can use those.

Soak your tails in water for a few hours to really get them soaked then drain the water, you want them wet when they go in the dye.

Put the dye powder in the jar, heat up your water pour it in and stir it up good - add two drops of dish washing detergent and stir again and then add 2-3 tablespoons of white vinagar to set your color, then put the tails in and make sure they're covered.

Stir occasionally - you have to remember what they look like wet is not what they'll look like when dry. Last tail pieces I did were in the dye for an hour or so and you can leave them longer if you want. Drain them and rinse in COOL water until you get no dye color coming off. Squeeze between paper towels - I like to use a hair drier on just low heat and blow the hair out and use an old comb or better a brush and brush the hair to each side. Let them finish drying and then tie em up.

bucktail

Appreciated,I will order the dye beginning of next week,thinking purple,chartruese and pink

Back