A herd of horses

100_1106.jpg

some ponies and horses

100_1108.jpg

Then a bunch of others

100_1109.jpg

100_1110.jpg

blt

I'm right with you, I poured another 30 pounds or so Saturday, 1oz. banks, 3,4,6, & 8 oz. fluke balls, and some ultra minnows.

Question for you Fats, I have some bullet and ball molds I would like to pour with the sickle hooks. If the mold calls for #1 jig hook, will the #1 sickle be a direct fit for it?
My do-it 1/8 and 1/4 oz. bullet head, I would like to get a larger sickle in it for saltwater. A lot of guys would like that for putting 2.5" Fin-S shad on them. Maybe a trip to BP shop to get some hooks and experiment.

blt

Ledhed, Already do, and Sea Mar tackle from Allentown Pa. Sea Mar only deals with Mustad though. I get most my beads and Perlon stick leader material there also.

If you ever see tackle with the name "Fin-Strike" on it, that is Sea Mar Tackle. They sell surgical tubing also if you have ever used that for making rigs. They make good eel rigs.

Hawnjigs

KISS
"blt", in my experience light wire Sickles may not be the best choice for salt water.

"Fatman", do the red hooks work better out your way?

Fatman

the biggest problem you'll have with sickle hooks in do it molds are:

The length of the eyelet to the 90 degree bend - I'll sit and fit them so I can pour faster. Some are so long they won't fit in any mold.

If you're going to be using the heavier sickles, your mold ain't gonna close very well, unless you have the mold for heavy wire hooks. If your using the mold for aberdeen style hooks you'd have to mod it for the hooks to even fit.

Some of the newer Do-Its have a warmining chamber on the bottom and it really prevents using bigger hooks in the molds

Hope that's what you're looking for

LedHed

Sponsor
BLT - Never dealt with Sea Mar - good info. Like the Mustad BLNs for saltwater.

Hate Matzuo's QC - think it's worse with the smaller hooks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, got tired of Sickle QC, plus the thinned out points fold too easily for my liking. Am switching to sturdier Mustad 32833 #8 thru #1 for my tie heads 1/32 thru 1/4. Ideal weight/hook size 32833 fit ball head molds are available.
http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_7_385

Mustad QC has been slipping, but so far the 32833s have been OK. Haven't seen my latest order yet tho - hope they aren't the newer "Made in China" white boxes.

BLT, most likely your molds would need modification to fit the heavy wire short eye leg 32833s. I haven't seen the heavy wire 90* Sickles.

Fatman

Hawn

When I was able to fish it was about a 50/50 split between the red sickle and plain bronze hook. Actually with some patterns the red hook makes them look a little weird. talked to a few guys over at CC and TU and they've gone to the black nickle sickle hooks.

I'm behaving, and barring any more problems I'll be fishing for the first time in 2 years this spring!!!!!!!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Hj - do the 32833s fit your Collin's? I have a single cavitiy PA 1/32nd roundhead that will pour a #8 32833.

Done with the red sickles - roll points - and lousy finish. Really like the BC and BZ except for the variations on eye length.

Fm - you must be choppin at the bit

Hawnjigs

KISS
LedHed, all my Collins molds are for 60* hooks, so no go with the 32833s. I'm using modified Do-it Pro ball head molds. The Do-it Steelhead 32833 ball head molds pour 2 cavities per size - I'd get one if just pouring for myself.

I've noticed that altho Sickles feel strong when finger tested, in action I've occasionally bent out a few on hard pullers. Don't know if its just individual bad hooks or inferior Matzuo temper in general.

Fatman

Led - you have NO IDEA how bad I want to go!!!! but I have to behave, not taking any chances!!!!!!!

Hawn - don't know if you ever had any of them that came out of the Korea plant, but as bad as some of the China factory ones are they're better!!!!!!!

When I get done with this last batch I'm done with them, catch rate between the regular round bend and the sickles was even up anyway. Don't really need the heavy 32833's for light wire fishing. but your in the Salt Water and need em.

I traded for 50 heads in 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 so that I'd have them on hand if I go on vacation to my Dad's. The trout and steel head runs on Lake Ontario tribs are when you need them.

Back