2013-2014 Hardwater Success???

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My back has been out of sorts the last few weeks and not been able to get out at all. :( Been feeling able to move better so possibly by this weekend if i keep on the mend. Love to live vicariously................

Bucko?

Eyecrosser & Eyecrosser II?

QuivaraKid?

Uncle Grump?

Papaperch?

I know others live in the ice belt as well..... is ANYONE out on the ice???

quivira kid

Been wishy washy warm/cold here.... I punched a couple holes around some docks yesterday and caught a few gills, but mostly dinky Kentucky bass. With the new baby and a new additional part time job, I haven't been out much lately. May be punching holes this coming weekend...... we will see.

papaperch

AF- good ice has been so late in coming I just about wrote this year off again. Got to re-organizing my work place and tackle and that has been keeping me busy. Also got new project on boat setting up a Humminbird 360 view.

papaperch

Forgot to mention. My back problems disappeared when we bought sleep number mattress. Wife hates it though but I love it.

Jig Man

Ice in my Crown helps my back.... :D But I guess I'm a fair weather fisherman, unless I had a heated house... :icon14:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, are there any men without back problems?

Lately I've been trying to do regular at least every other day one mile 20 minute walks + brief mobility excercises every night before bed and my back seems to be the best in 20+ yrs. Of course, can't excercise when you're having an episode and hurting.

Bucko

been out quite a bit this year. did really well early December but dropped off January, which is typical. Should pick up in another week or so again if the weather cooperates soon. but it's supposed to be -17 again tonight.... biggest crappie this winter so far is 15 inches. biggest perch was just under 16 inches. biggest pike is only 37 inches. biggest gill is 10 1/2 inches. biggest walleye only 26 inches.

Kdog

Have not been. When my buddies talk about feeling the ice move and gearing cracks and pops, my desire subsides and I pray no one gets stuck.

eyecrosser

As QK said, Kansas been hit and miss with very questionable ice, but getting cold again. Went to North Dakota with my son and a couple friends right after Jan.1st and pounded the perch before it dipped to -60 degree wind chills. Scooted out of there before we got hammered by that blast of cold air but looking ahead to going up at least once more.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
papaperch - i have been hinting to my wife for the last few years that we need to go on vacation up north somewhere in the winter. Even added that we could stay at one of those fancy hotels with the waterpark....... i still got the 'ol stink eye once she figured out my plan. She was rattling something about vacations are supposed to be a family thing. So i offered to rent a 4-man shanty and the whole family could be with me. That didn't get me anywhere either.

Good luck Bucko! If i ever get up there, i would need to meet up with someone because i'm not sure my auger would be long enough to cut through. How thick is your ice up that way?

Bucko

went out today and had 33 inches of ice. drillled 10 holes and said screw the rest.... been a long time since I've seen ice over 30 inches. sad thing is lakes are still making ice..... yikes!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I got out today and found some bluegill to play around with at one of my hometown reservoirs. Had decent action but only managed 3 keepers. First fish of 2014 for me. :cool: Got them on jig/waxworm and tiny willow spoon/waxworm. Ice is about 16" to 18" thick and is the thickest i have ever seen here..... cut about 25 holes but only would have needed to cut 6. All of my fish were caught from the 6th hole cut. :p Action would die off in it and i would wander off to try someplace else, but kept coming back to it.

Bucko - Can not imagine 30+ inches, that is crazy!

Jig Man

Dang, thats a bunch of cold. Started out at 22 this morning, but it made it to 74 this afternoon...

Bucko

although 33 inches wasn't enough for a bulldozer yesterday. they were making a race track and drag strip on one of our lakes and it went through.... don't want that bill to have it dragged out.

eyecrosser

Got out today, caught one gill and a wet foot. Most ice was 4-5 ninches but found a spot with 2" and that was the end of our day.

fishinny

I'm I'm central NY and was on ice a couple days before Thanksgiving with some of the best perch fishing I've ever had. I'm after a big pike and lake trout. I've caught a 31" northern and 27" laker. But to win a tournament in a couple weeks they will need to be bigger... we have an average of 24" of hard water. I can't imagine over 30"!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back