2/16/17 casting

NorCoMike

Well with weather in the 70's in Colorado i had to get out and do some casting. Went out from 1700 to 1900 looking for some walters at a local lake called lon hagler. Didn't manage to find any eyes but did pick up this big sucker on a red head white craft hair tail jig. I think thats the first sucker i have ever caught while casting a minnow looking bait. Main reason for going out was to test cast a new rod im building before i do the epoxy but i will start a new thread with pictures when i get that rod completed.

Attachments

• 21617sucka.jpg
    21617sucka.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 53

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've been getting a few smaller ones on jig bites, and snagged a big one in our trouting area. They fight pretty good, don't they?

JiggerJohn says they are good eating.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats. They sure are fun to hook into. I used to get them (and river redhorse) in the river pretty often on minnow style jigs but always seemed to hook them in the nose on the outside of their mouth.

That warm weather is heading this way for the weekend so i will probably get out to do some casting myself. I tried after dark for walleye earlier this week..... pretty odd to see night crawlers on the ground here in the middle of February. It cooled down enough since then to put skim ice back on the small ponds. I just wish it would stay one way or the other.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats. They sure are fun to hook into. I used to get them (and river redhorse) in the river pretty often on minnow style jigs but always seemed to hook them in the nose on the outside of their mouth.

That warm weather is heading this way for the weekend so i will probably get out to do some casting myself. I tried after dark for walleye earlier this week..... pretty odd to see night crawlers on the ground here in the middle of February. It cooled down enough since then to put skim ice back on the small ponds. I just wish it would stay one way or the other.

Jig Man

Some of that weather is on the way here too. Hopefully try it tomorrow. Nice catch, I could turn that into a freezer shelf full of catfish... :icon14:

papaperch

An old Italian guy used to get them off me and my buds . Way back when I was eleven-teen something. We used to snag them like this time of year. We brought them home and buried in our families gardens for fertilizer. This guy asked us to bring them to him. We all figured it was way better then what we were doing with them.

Turns out he canned them. Invited some our gang to sample them after he had quite a few Mason jars of them. Ate them with onion and some kind of cracker his wife made. They didn't taste like fish to me. But they tasted like the best lunch meat I ever had in my life. All 70 years of them. Also had them with homemade baking soda biscuits and onion. Again excellent table fare best onion was either green onion or big bermuda's. Canned hot peppers was also an excellent addition.

I suspect you snagged him rather than him hitting the jig. During spawning they can get awful thick in tight places.

joe

NorCoMike said:
 I think thats the first sucker i have ever caught while casting a minnow looking bait. 

Nice Whitey!  On a jig, nonetheless, which is even more special in terms of sucker catches.

White Suckers are one of the sucker species more inclined to grab an artificial on occasion, I've even caught a few on spoons when casting on the Great Lakes near river mouths.  Legit, fully in the mouth catches on them, too.  River Redhorse and Greater Redhorse have the same inclination towards artificials in some situations if you're lucky enough to experience it.

A fine christening for a new rod, this one may be enchanted from the start.

NorCoMike

Any of you guys ever canned any kind of fish? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if it's good...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back