Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Eyes
02-06-2016, 01:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM by AtticaFish.)
RE: Night Eyes
Oh, no denying...... the walleye bug has me pretty good.  I think it got worse this fall with all the 20"+ fish i caught.

As for their winter behavior, i really don't know yet.  This is the first i have honestly ever tried to get out and cast for them in February.  Water is way down and crystal clear at the moment (city has not started pumping water in from the river yet) so i spent some of the time with my head light on checking the areas that i know hold the most small bluegill/bass during any other season.  There were still plenty of those prey fish up in the shallows.  If the food is there...... predators should visit i would think?  The upground reservoirs i fish are hard to compare to any other surrounding reservoirs that are river/creek systems that get dammed up.  The river/creek reservoirs are a little more natural with points and drop-offs.  The majority of upgrounds are simply all angled drops from shore to a deep basin.  The guys in those central OH reservoirs that are a little more natural are still catching a few from shore on rocky points and up against the dams when it has been free of ice.

There was a report of a pretty darn big saugeye caught through the ice a little over a week ago from one of the reservoirs only 30 minutes or so from me.  I don't get to this reservoir much, or at least i haven't fished it frequently in the past.  May have to give it more focus this spring.  It is a little newer of an upground and has some manmade structure and contour that was added specifically to help the stocked fish populations to reproduce.  Check this out....... http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/b...st-2127924
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
02-07-2016, 01:42 PM,
Gotta join to view.
02-07-2016, 07:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 12:00 AM by papaperch.)
Russ- Just read this thread. Got something for you in case you want another weapon to add to your arsenal. Check your local Wal Mart. For a plug that is named the Pond Minnow. I have caught just about every fish that swims on them. Used in the pond shallows they are D-E-A-D-L-Y. They are made by Strike King and are also called the bitsy minnow. Berlin has a shallow water walleye pattern also. You can almost guess what colors to get by what you been getting out of their stomachs. Other companies make small plugs but I think  there are the cheapest that are still effective.

I think their profile is what sets the gamefish off on them. As it so closely resembles what they are smashing. They are only 1-1/2 long and weigh an 1/8 oz.
The scenario in your post almost is perfect for these little fellers. LM bass can't or won't leave them alone either.

Fish with 6 # test and use loop knot. Berkley fast snap will also work but I believe the loop knot allows this particular lure to perform to its max.

You can buy me a beer to thank me. Cause if you get some you will be singing its praises just like me.

http://www.blackbassreviews.com/reviewbi...innow.html

This review reveals I am not the only fan of the little lure that can. I get a chuckle out of some the real young fishermen on u-tube. Seems like each of them think they are the only one to discover what the bitsy is capable of. Their enthusiasm is quite evident to say the least.
AKA- hays47
02-07-2016, 11:56 PM,
(02-07-2016, 01:42 PM)Hawnjigs Wrote: Gotta join to view.

Ooops, keep forgetting they changed their permissions on OGF.  Here is the picture of the fish the guy caught.  They sized this saugeye at 29.5" and pushing 10lbs!

02-08-2016, 12:00 AM,
papaperch - I will look it up.  I have 2 plano boxes i take with me now.  First box is full of jigs.... tied, twisters & swimbaits.  Other box is for cranks and still have some room left for a few more.
02-08-2016, 09:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 09:53 AM by hookup.)
Dang that's a big fish

And that ice looks really thin too
02-09-2016, 02:29 PM,
I don't know the guy who caught it so no clue how the ice was that day. When it is black ice like that, it is very hard to tell from a picture. Sometimes it is hard to tell even when you are standing on it! Someone claimed this particular reservoir was last stocked in 2004 with saugeye, so that could be a pretty old fish. Quite big and beautiful dark color, just has that look of an evil predator.

Actually made it back to Willard reservoir again last night for one more try before we get the next cold snap that will likely lock up the lakes here again. Casted for about 2 hours and not even a bump. Tried cranks, tied jigs, swimbaits and twist tail grubs. I gave up when the calm water along the shoreline (was hiding on the up wind side to try and stay warm) began to skim over with ice. Walleye will have to wait i guess...........
02-10-2016, 12:50 AM,
Man, what a BUT !! Dude must be thick skinned or hot blooded.

Can't believe how much fish can fit thru those little ice holes. Must be lots of fun if you snag one.
06-19-2017, 01:42 PM,
With my walleye canal plummeting from awesome to pathetic, likely due to Summer harvest pressure, I figgered I needed to change tactics. So, just ordered a cupla Bitsy Minnows firetiger on sale.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Strike-King-B...3=&veh=sem
If my pole breaks from an oversize wally on the light gear needed to cast a mini crank its on you Papa.