Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch out perch!
09-02-2015, 10:17 AM,
RE: Watch out perch!
(09-01-2015, 12:21 PM)Bucho Wrote: nice ties and interesting material! What size are they? My experience with hairjigs and perch is that size matterns. Less than finger-long jigs have yet failed to produce a reasonably sized fish at all. You may encounter roach, ide and white bream surprizes though!

Frank
They are tied on a 1g (1/32oz) size 8 Finesse sickle jig head ( probably Matzuo, but the seller buys in bulk and puts his own label on them).

I hear what you are saying about size but I have always tended to fish with smaller sizes than many. However over the years have had some respectable perch up to 4lb on small hooks/lures, even the occasional pike up to 16lb, caught on Mepps Aglia copper spinners size 2.

These days though I tend to only use jigs, which must always be tied by me and rarely use any hook size greater than a 6 or 4. Recently I have been experimenting with smaller hooks. The other week I tied up a gold bead Pheasant tail nymph on a jig hook (weight 0.4g about 1/75ozs) size 10 and over a 3 hour session had over 40+ perch. Admittedly many were very small, although the best went to 1lb 8ozs. I fish very light, using a Savage Gear LRF 6'6" 198cm (6'6") rated to cast 0-5gms (less than1/4oz) so every fish I catch, regardless of size, gives sport. I have to confess though that one of the reasons for using smaller hooks was to try and catch a roach or bream which also frequent the same part of the canal. Alas no roach or bream - yet. I may have to go smaller!!
-------------

Thanks to everybody for your kind comments.

David

PS. I have just ordered some more UV Straggle Fritz in other colours!
09-02-2015, 02:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM by Bucho.)
Ok, now, I´m imperessed! Would not have thought so, most 40+ perch I hear of are caught as pike-bycatch. If you´re after roach however you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthr...ach+boolie

I found pan-fish sized boolies very effective on roach. I remember heaving read of a guy who used to win spin-fishing tournaments in the former GDR (east Germany) targeting roach and white bream - the most abundend species- with ul gear and very small homemade inline spinners in the 1gr range.
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM,
(09-02-2015, 02:11 PM)Bucho Wrote: Ok, now, I´m imperessed! Would not have thought so, most 40+ perch I hear of are caught as pike-bycatch. If you´re after roach however you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthr...ach+boolie

I found pan-fish sized boolies very effective on roach. I remember heaving read of a guy who used to win spin-fishing tournaments in the former GDR (east Germany) targeting roach and white bream - the most abundend species- with ul gear and very small homemade inline spinners in the 1gr range.

Interesting. Thanks for the link too.That has given me a few ideas.

David
09-02-2015, 09:56 PM,
Great leggy little bugs. The orange/green/gold combo looks really good together. They will catch you some fish no doubt. Don't think i have ever seen that material either..... good looking stuff.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
09-03-2015, 08:10 AM,
Great-looking ties. The material reminds me of eyelash yarn sold at many a fabric store.

Well done. Cool
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM,
Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated.

For your info, i bought online some more colours of the Turrall's UV Straggle Fritz yesterday, which arrived today. The company is called 'Troutcatcher's' - http://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/acatalog/...-4497.html

I know they ship to the USA, although I don't know how expensive it is.i am sure they will tell you their postage charges if you contact them. I think Fatman bought some stuff from them a while ago so he may be able to rate their service and prices. I used them yesterday for the first time and will certainly use them again.

David

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minnow Head Perch duffy 7 1,493 03-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Pup
  Deep Open Water Perch Zonker Bucho 21 4,727 07-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Last Post: AtticaFish
  Pink for perch davidriley 10 1,787 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Last Post: davidriley
  Grouse perch Jungleboy 4 930 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Last Post: plateboater
  Perch Woolie!!! plateboater 5 1,350 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM