Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neutral Buoyant JIgs
01-06-2011, 04:04 PM,
Neutral Buoyant JIgs
Couple years ago ordered something called EZ-EYES and never could find a use for them unti-------l now. Pin Jigs gave me the idea. The head of the jig is about the size of an 1/8 oz leadhead. Since most of you already know that fish often suck in a lure by creating a vaccuum by expelling water out their gills. You can readily see that a jig that weighs almost nothing is going to fly in their mouths. Well that the general idea for these a big profile jig that weighs very little. Will have to let everyone know if it works when the water goes soft again up here.

[Image: transset.jpg]

This is how I start them, base wrap Crazy Glue and then add the head.

The following are some of my early attempts at the idea

[Image: tran1.jpg]

[Image: tran2.jpg]

[Image: tran3.jpg]
AKA- hays47
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM,
RE: Neutral Buoyant JIgs
Those are very interesting. Almost looks like a clear glass bead head. Cool!
H.Hawkins
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM,
Great looking tyes - very interesting color combos
01-06-2011, 09:01 PM,
Neat concept, but how do you get your jig down to a specific depth ? If you weight it above how do you stay in contact with the jig ?
"Only death will end my love affair with Texas." Bob Bullock
01-07-2011, 03:11 AM,
a small splitshot bout 8-12 inches above wouldnt affect anything, yeah, you wont be able to feel the jig itself, but the concept is the same with jigs down to 1/100 oz. just feel the bite.. great concept!! would work good as a fly fishing fly..... sub-surface perhaps
01-07-2011, 04:00 PM,
Interesting design and concept... crappie should kill a slow fall bait like that. Talk about a perfect "glass minnow" imitation. Running that on a fly rod would be nice!

EZ-EYES - What kind of material are they? A soft rubber or more solid like a bead?
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
01-08-2011, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM by papaperch.)
Beads are solid and transluscent. They come with the pin already installed. I have found out the manufacturer has quit making them. They were designed to be installed as pairs to be eyes on larger flies. Found them one time when I was doing a search on tying with EZ-Body braid I think.

The correct name for them are Crystal Eyes.
AKA- hays47
01-08-2011, 11:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 12:00 PM by JoJoPro.)
Nice ties. I tie a lot of jigs similar in style to your second jig and do well using them for steelhead.

I'm thinking of how I could make some sweet looking Egg-Sucking jig patterns with those Crystal Eyes dyed with a translucent orange stain. Too bad the E-Z Body company discontinued them. Now that I can't have them, I want them. Tongue

John