Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lipstick jigs?
06-21-2015, 01:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM by Fatman.)
RE: Lipstick jigs?
This is what Northland calls their new one
http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/lip-s...00004.html

This is what I've always known as a lipstick jig
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pack-of-1oz-L...1620261491

But a search on lipstick jigs gives you pics of all different kinds
https://www.google.com/search?q=lipstick...=1#imgrc=_
06-21-2015, 11:13 PM,
I appreciate all the replies. As I indicated, I had Googled lipstick jigs, and got many hits - mostly Northland, as previously indicated - however, notice the size of a lot of them - those (to me) don't seem "small" - or at least what seems to me as a "small panfish jig".

My gray matter calls a 1/8oz jig large.

I am going to email them editor of that fishing newsletter - see if that will turn up a pic, etc.

UG
06-22-2015, 10:07 AM,
Looks like you have a lot of choices..... best bet is probably going to be the source as you mentioned. This thread has me wondering how many different names specific jigs and lures might have regionally. Could make things confusing.

(06-20-2015, 05:19 PM)Jay Wirth Wrote: Called Bullets or Neil Jig in my neck of the woods - maybe your lipstick jig?? Double checking my molds I have size 1/4 1/2 5/8

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9432]

Jay Wirth - I believe i have seen something very close to those sold up here around Lake Erie for the Spring walleye reef fishing. Can't recall the name they used though. I have to say that the mold looks like it would be a major pain to trim off the sprue there. Great looking finished jigs.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
06-22-2015, 10:40 AM,
The sprue isn't bad its a very thin connection and can be twisted off by hand. This is a decent jig to fish but I don't get a lot of requests for it. Im not sure of the mold either - its similar to the custom ones we have had made in the past but I think it is from a different machinist.
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie
06-22-2015, 05:49 PM,
That looks a lot like a Ament Mold .. Handles were not threaded that I know of but the rest of the mold looks like Paul's work. I have a mold from Ament that is all most identical (it was a custom made for my model)
JSC _________ http://www.zibbet.com/ThinkLikeAFish
On The Choctawhatchee
06-23-2015, 11:34 AM,
Email to the newsletter author has been sent. Now we wait.....

UG
06-26-2015, 06:15 PM,
I got a reply back from newsletter author. The lady sent pics....

The pics were of Northland's Bro's Bloodworm jigs....sized w/ #8 and 10 hooks, so I am guessing 1/32 oz heads w/ a round head.

So there we have it....

UG
06-27-2015, 12:01 AM,
HA! Never would have guessed that was the jig in question for a thousand years. Wonder how it got the moniker of a Lipstick Jig?
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
06-27-2015, 12:19 AM,
Looks like it is lipstick as in hook sticking in the lip, rather then lipstick as in make up. Here is the description:
The BRO’S BLOODWORM is perch and panfish’s favorite forage! The bug head is molded with a fine wire Lip-Stick Needle-Point hook, and features a “soft & chewy” segmented worm body with lifelike cilia and aquatic hair that undulates and swims like a live bloodworm. Panfish beware – there is going to be a blood bath!
06-28-2015, 08:24 AM,
It is amusing (to me) how jigs, lures, ect... have names that evolve based on time and geography. Even in this thread for lipstick jig one of the pictures I have always know as a hot lips jig (the one with the open mouth).
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie