Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lipstick jigs?
06-19-2015, 09:13 AM,
Lipstick jigs?
I get a weekly fishing update from the DNR of a state neighboring the one I live in.

The following sentence was in this weeks update:

Fish were being harvested using small lipstick jigs tipped with night crawler.

Don't know that I've seen that term before. I tried Google, all I get is a bunch of hits for commercial (Northland mainly) jigs, none which look anything I've not seen before.

Thanks

UG
06-19-2015, 11:12 AM,
RE: Lipstick jigs?
Hmmm...... just by the shape alone, could they be talking about using a shad dart head? Has a similar profile...........

[Image: Lipstick_048x048_32.png]
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
06-19-2015, 12:07 PM,
Shad Darts - now there's a thought....

Shad dart profile comes in a small size, compared to much of Northlands stuff, a lot of which is targeted at game fish.
06-19-2015, 12:59 PM,
I have a jig mold that the old timers called a bullet head which I think is the lipstick jig. It is a cylinder with straight sides and a squared butt and the nose is rounded. I have sizes 1/8 and up. Ill get some photos when Im not at work
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie
06-19-2015, 01:01 PM,
I recently had a customer who really likes worm dunking with shad darts, based on an exceptional multi species session when he first tried it.

The catch he described was indeed pretty awesome.

Sometimes, bait is the best, if not only option. Last night a couple dunking crawdads was cleaning up the wipers, which wouldn't touch Boolies or Boogers. Tied up plan B for trial tonite, downsize & no blades.
06-19-2015, 01:10 PM,
(06-19-2015, 01:01 PM)Hawnjigs Wrote: I recently had a customer who really likes worm dunking with shad darts, based on an exceptional multi species session when he first tried it.

The catch he described was indeed pretty awesome.

Sometimes, bait is the best, if not only option. Last night a couple dunking crawdads was cleaning up the wipers, which wouldn't touch Boolies or Boogers. Tied up plan B for trial tonite, downsize & no blades.

Want to catch wipers? Try dunking some chicken livers. It works well as bait in Indiana Tailwaters. If you tire of fishing lures, you'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

Stripers like them too.
06-19-2015, 06:47 PM,
This is a crawler town, & CO visitors bring dads & mussels. I'd rather not give up on jigs just yet, but will pass on the liver suggestion to my fishing bro who will use whatever it takes. With abundant cats in the Mac, action should be steady on liver between wipers.
06-19-2015, 07:41 PM,
I remember lipstick jigs as being round head with a short wide gap hook rich mc
06-19-2015, 09:11 PM,
I think the lipstick jigs were named for the bright colors that were used to make them. I think they were simply ballheads with bright fluorescent color paint and a plastic skirt to match.
06-20-2015, 05:19 PM,
Called Bullets or Neil Jig in my neck of the woods - maybe your lipstick jig?? Double checking my molds I have size 1/4 1/2 5/8

Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie