Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance
04-17-2015, 06:04 PM,
RE: Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance
I gave up on the new Lee pots. Bought a RCBS Pro Melt and it's the best money I've ever spent. I've run close to 200 lbs of lead through it in the past couple of months and it's been perfect.
04-17-2015, 09:28 PM,
BTW, answering your question. No they should not leak. But they usually do!
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
04-19-2016, 11:31 PM,
I Watched videos and talked to guys who pour...I was told to melt lead down then turn dial on my lee pot down to around 7...after just two times using it I've played with the heat and have noticed mine works great at just above 5...maybe because the element is new idk...mine drips already but does less once I turned it down some...also after about three or four times filling my mold I stir and clean off all junk ...I think keeping the pot 3/4 full also helps keep most junk at the top...lower you let the pot get with melted lead the more junk gets close to the spout making it easier to have inconsistant pour or partial clog creating a leak..a lock pick is a great tool to have close by...they make them with a 90 degree and it fits perfect...quick and easy way to get things back in order with a lee pot ?
04-22-2016, 08:58 AM,
Mine only leaks when the lead inside is melted... Big Grin
04-24-2016, 07:54 PM,
kdog posted a nice thread on cleaning his Lee pot

Mine started leaking bad, so tried drilling out MISTAKE

Bought a new Lee's pouring pot but haven't used it.

Contacted Lee & got a new pot for around $8 plus shipping. Lapped the plunger, replaced the pot I drilled with the new one, and after a few pours it stopped leaking

Now it drips occasionally, but run a paper clip through the hole, stir the lead good, and it usually stops

Want a RCBS, but since pouring's just a hobby can't justify the expense
04-25-2016, 08:21 AM,
Most often the case with drips during pouring is solved with an occasional wiggle of the plunger with a screwdriver. The top of the plunger has a screw slot. Stir you lead often, wax or flux powder to clean, scoop your slag. I use the same Lee pot for a few years and trade it in for a new one (at a reduced price).
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie
04-25-2016, 12:12 PM,
Do ya'll store your pots with lead in them, or do you empty it and clean it out?
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><
04-25-2016, 03:41 PM,
I think most folks leave the lead in. This keeps the pot from rusting. I know my pot has some lead in it.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
04-26-2016, 02:49 PM,
I keep mine full as I can while storing or using. Got going the other day and before I knew it the pot had less then half.....loaded it back up and fluxed(I always start and end by fluxing along with fluxing with any addition of lead). Next thing I know the pot is dripping. Pot use to drip prior to a full cleaning but since then I normally don't let the pot level get below about 3/4 of a pot and I flux before during and after, and have no drips. Point is keep your pots full and fluxed and the majority of the problems go away. Once you start getting drips, take it apart and deep clean, keep full and flux. Just my 2 cents but it has saved me a bunch of aggravation.
07-09-2017, 02:31 PM,
Mine stopped pouring and made me wonder why? I took it apart and the heating element broke in 1/2. I use it allot - but never dropped it or damaged it.

After this thread I bought a new insert pot from DoIt and when the element broke, took it out. I also had another Lee's 10# a buddy left outside that I use to melt down lead & clean. So I took it apart, PIA with it welded to the heating element, but finally got it done. Put the pot from the Lee with the broken heater element into the rusted Lee pot and just finished pouring. Still have the new one in the box, but I'm such a cheap SOB I decided to see if I can make this work.

I can go buy another element from Lee - but this was such a PIA, I'm just going to use the rusted one until it dies, then start a fresh with the old one.

Yeah, I know, I can mail the one w/ the broken heater to DoIt and they'll fix it for 1/2 the price of a new one, but since I got so many years out of the pot with the broken heating element, and I got another brand new spare, I'll consider that money well spent.