Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance
04-12-2015, 05:55 PM,
Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance
I had a Lee Pot that went haywire!!!! Now I have a new pot and all the way closed still leaks. I do not like leaks.....this can be dangerous. The adjustments is a threaded rod.....should not be hard. I tried the paperclip up the pour spot but still leaking. New pot......getting into the fishing season hard core and last issue I need in the jig shop!!!! Thoughts.
04-12-2015, 06:43 PM,
RE: Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance
Sorry buddy but haven't seen one yet that didn't - I use an old bass jig bent into an L shape that I use to push up into the spout to clear it. Just keep a drip can under it in case, and stay safe.
04-12-2015, 07:35 PM,
Are you using clean soft lead? Which pot do you have? Sounds like the 4-20, you might have something plugging up the spout - not letting the plunger seat. Dump it and check both. Found a hook one time.....
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
04-12-2015, 08:17 PM,
Thank FM! I use little cat food cans from a tip on here the other day!

Led....good soft lead. Yes to the 4-20. Dumped it this afternoon. Very frustrated today. I think it was because I have been up since 3am to get to my fishing spot early!
04-12-2015, 09:20 PM,
If this is a new pot. Turn the heat knob down to 4 and fill the pot 3/4 full of lead. May help
04-12-2015, 11:08 PM,
My 10# always dripped a bit until I lapped the valve rod and adjusted the lever

My 20# will sometime have 1 drip at end of pour. I did add weight to top of valve rod because the movement was a bit rough IMO I tried lubing the guide rod and no luck, added weight and no leaks since. Clean metal is critical
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
04-12-2015, 11:19 PM,
My pot drips as well. I cleaned it out a couple years ago, disassembled the plunger, cleaned out all the stuff that was in there (made the mistake of dropping some dirty lead into the pot), reassembled, and it still drips.

Kdog, when you say you "lapped the valve rod", what exactly is that? I'm not really the "shop guy type", so a lot of that is something I'm not familiar with.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
04-13-2015, 05:37 AM,
I will try turning the heat down.....usually on the dial is high till melted then 7 to pour.....will try lower
04-13-2015, 09:15 AM,
Lapping the valve seat is simple. Empty the pot and clean. Remove valve rod and clean sandpaper steel wool etc. Now chuck the threaded end into a cordless drill. apply a small amount of lapping compound to the small end of the valve rod, Locate it into the pour hole just like it is held by the lifting mechanism. Turn drill on 10 seconds or so with light pressure, reverse drill and repeat, alternate directions 4-5 times. add more compund as needed, you should feel resistance and the gritty texture of the compound. Clean the pour hole and check, the seat should be obvious and clearly defined. If not repeat the lapping process.

Clean everything again, polish valve rod rod. I use steel wool at this point just to make sure its clean, Reassemble pot and refill with lead. Hopefully no more leaks for a while.
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
04-13-2015, 12:32 PM,
Thank you!
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!