Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hook up % with boolies
03-29-2015, 01:12 AM,
hook up % with boolies
Hello everyone! So i spent most of today fishing a couple of boolies in a local resevoir. I was getting alot of strikes (mostly stocked trout) but not hooking up very often. I had roughly 50 to 60 strikes and only managed to hook up with 12 stocker sized rainbows. Any suggestions on what I was doing wrong?

Here is a pic of the jig that got the most strikes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-29-2015, 07:49 AM,
RE: hook up % with boolies
It's hard to tell actual scale from the photo, but I'd say that the hook is too big. When I first developed the Boolie for trout (specifically) I went with a no, 8 VMC short shank hook, from Hawnjigs, on his 1/28 jighead. And tho this is a super sharp hook, I still sharpen each hook before I tie. When my catch rate on bass, crappies,bluegills, even big carp, cats, and saltwater species climbed ,with rare misses, I concluded that the small VMC models (up to size 6) have a way of instantly burying themselves into a fish jaw, without setting on my part, and that once in,the tiny barbs and wonderful leverage of this hook hold on without fail ! I often tell Keith Okimoto (Hawns) that the real secret to tying a PROPER Boolie is his hand selected hooks & jigheads!!
03-29-2015, 08:06 AM,
100% agree with Jiggerjohn
03-29-2015, 09:20 AM,
(03-29-2015, 07:49 AM)jiggerjohn Wrote: It's hard to tell actual scale from the photo, but I'd say that the hook is too big. When I first developed the Boolie for trout (specifically) I went with a no, 8 VMC short shank hook, from Hawnjigs, on his 1/28 jighead. And tho this is a super sharp hook, I still sharpen each hook before I tie. When my catch rate on bass, crappies,bluegills, even big carp, cats, and saltwater species climbed ,with rare misses, I concluded that the small VMC models (up to size 6) have a way of instantly burying themselves into a fish jaw, without setting on my part, and that once in,the tiny barbs and wonderful leverage of this hook hold on without fail ! I often tell Keith Okimoto (Hawns) that the real secret to tying a PROPER Boolie is his hand selected hooks & jigheads!!

Right On John !!...Icon14Icon14Icon14
Cross Timbers Custom Fishing Rods....(FB)
03-29-2015, 10:00 AM,
JiggerJohn being the Boolie inventor is an impeccable authority on the design. His preference for #8 & #6 hooks on minimal heads is the result of years of comparative experiences. Personally, I've noticed that an overlarge propeller might sometimes impede hookset efficiency, so for fewest misses on the mentioned small size hooks a "small" size fly propeller available in retail 24 packs AKA size "0" from mfg. Worth might be best choice.

Used to be 1/16 #4 Boolies was perfect for Front Range reservoirs warm water species but with the severe continual decline of stocks the prevalent remaining opportunity in say Lon Hagler for example is dink bass, gills, and stocker trout. If you really want to sting those bumps a downsize jig might indeed be a best choice.

Of course Boolies can be upsized with better opportunity. I have no trouble stinging trout here with 1/8 #4 hook #1 prop Boolies where a dink is a thick 12".
03-29-2015, 10:24 AM,
Great advice! Smaller blades, Sharper hooks and did anyone mention sharper hooks? Although I've sharpened hooks all of my life, the advances in manufacturing make it unnecessary for many out of the box hooks. I find that after they hit the tackle box, a quick tune up is adviseable. I have sharpeners several but this one is always in my pocket and the 30 seconds it takes seems in my experience to make a bih difference.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/EZE-LAP_D...gQodJD8AgA
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
03-29-2015, 02:27 PM,
If the stockies were only put in within the last month or so they could be knocking the jig around. I've had it happen when fly fishing, a bunch all go for it and end up not hooking any of them. When I find pods like this I move somewhere else, they still taste like liver from the feed pellets and I'd rather find harder to catch fish till they start splitting up and get rid of the taste.
03-29-2015, 08:23 PM,
hook up % with boolies
Thanks for the replies every one! That jig is a 1/32 with a #6 sickle hook. Im going to have to get some smaller hooks to tie some boolies on. So far they have been productive on trout but havent caught anything else on them yet but I will be fishing them often this year.

Keith I was actually at lon hagler haha.
03-29-2015, 09:11 PM,
NorCoMike, The 1/32 oz jighead is a great size to be using, but I've had some issues with a sickle hook on a Boolie ;t's gap seems a bit too big. As mentioned the VMC # 8 looks minature by comparison, yet its straight point consistantly stings everything. And, as Keith mentioned, a size 0 Gold Worth propeller doesn't "get in the way" of a hookset like a bigger blade can sometimes do !
03-29-2015, 10:36 PM,
I agree that with the boolie fish will hook themselves if you let them. Resist the urge to set the hook whenever you feel a tap and wait for them to hook themselves on the boolie. In the beginning I set the hook every time I felt a tap and missed most of the fish but now I just keep reeling steady until the take it in and hook themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  boolies&woolies in Canada- new article jiggerjohn 5 2,258 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fatman
  Need help identifying jig hook JUNGLEJIM1 16 2,784 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Last Post: JUNGLEJIM1
  Hook Identification Nightprowler 6 1,423 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Nightprowler