Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chenille bobbin
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM,
RE: Chenille bobbin
Attica - I would totally buy a few of those from you!!! Is that an option?
05-27-2011, 12:33 AM,
Well... I only ended up making a total of 4 of these and keep them loaded with black, white, silver and pearl chenille - the colors i use the most. They are very easy to work with.

Carving the deep spools is the biggest pain! I actually had tried to 're-tool' the original idea by making some metal spools from washers, threaded rods and ferrules to make even larger spools to accomadate more chenille per spool. I put it on the back burner but will dig it all back out and see if i can get it fine tuned. The 4 i have i am going to keep, but will see if i can come up with something easier to build.

(05-26-2011, 08:18 AM)jjsjigs Wrote: Attica - I would totally buy a few of those from you!!! Is that an option?
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
05-29-2011, 06:11 PM,
Attica,

I got a guy at my local flea market who does wood turning, let me look and see if he has those cut already!!!!!! If he doesn't what size would be best?? What size hole is through the spool???

I can't drive for the next 90 days due to my health, but the wife is talking about going to the flea market tommorrow. Get me some particulars and I'll check out his booth.

Here's one someone put in a fly tying material swap box and my wife snatched it up

Width across just under 3 1/2"
Inside edge to edge 2 3/4"
From spool center to outside edge 1"
Drilled hole center 5/8"

[Image: 100_1006.jpg]

Fatman
05-30-2011, 01:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2011, 01:23 AM by AtticaFish.)
Fatman - that is a little bigger than what i have been working with, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work - i can re-tool around different specs. I know i am posting pretty late ( just got done ceaning some fish and back to business Jig ) but if you read this, grab me half a dozen and i will gladly pay you for them!

I have a 'new' bobbin design made from the steel rods, brass fittings and wire i mentioned before. It is going to weigh in much heavier than my first try with the wood spools but i can't say for sure how it will function yet... i still need to solder the pieces together and i will post what i did. Big Grin
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM,
Wife's sugar was whacked so we didn't go this weekend though we're supposed to be going!!!!! Can't do much else!! I'll let you know what I find.

Fatman
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM,
Fm

Sorry to hear of your medical problems - hope you get back on track - soon.

AF

This is something that CAT was playing with;

06-02-2011, 12:06 AM,
Fatman - Don't worry about it, there will be another. Sent you a PM. Wink

LH - Thanks for posting that! The spring/nut tension adjustment would help. Was starting to think that i had gone crazy and dreamt the whole thing up! Could not remember where i saw it but was pretty sure the general idea i had gotten from Robert. Even checked his site a few times thinking he might be selling them. His design is much more simple than mine. HA!
06-02-2011, 05:17 PM,
Yeah but that thing has to weigh a lot!!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modified bobbin for larger spools AndyLane 11 2,966 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Last Post: smalljaw