Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Warmouth
08-27-2014, 06:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM by JSC.)
More Warmouth
My river has been down enough to get some decent fishing in the past 2 weeks .. Have not carried an ice chest to put fish in (just my small drink box) and have been catching the warmouth while bass fishing ... So this AM I went with the intention of catching my daughter and sone in law a mess of them .. I threw my 1/4 oz Finess spinner bait the whole time .. they did not bite as well as they had been (neap tide today which is all ways tough) I managed to catch them 37 and kept some bass for them for a change .. 5 .. I kept _ Limit .. and threw back 4 more.

JSC _________ http://www.zibbet.com/ThinkLikeAFish
On The Choctawhatchee
08-27-2014, 10:22 PM,
RE: More Warmouth
Sounds like a great day and nice looking fish.
08-27-2014, 10:23 PM,
Dang 37 on a spinnerbait! Sounds like a blast.
08-28-2014, 07:46 AM,
JSC,

That is an incredibly nice mess of warmouth. Cool I've never caught more than one or two during a fishing trip. Maybe that's due to a smaller abundance or I'm selecting the few larger ones in the lakes I've fished in my area. Usually nab them on 6-inch plastic worms.

Lemme guess, Lew's SG Graphite Rod and Daiwa Prolite Reel? I like that outfit. Icon14
08-28-2014, 08:26 AM,
Wow and on a 1/4 oz bait. Those will be great eating, nice catch.
Ronnie
08-28-2014, 01:20 PM,
Impressive haul! Now they better invite you for the fish fry. Big Grin

Side note..... i've called green sunfish 'warmouth' for more years than i can remember and never realized true warmouth is actually a separate species of sunfish all together. They must be aggressive little guys to be going after that size spinnerbaits.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
08-28-2014, 01:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM by JSC.)
They hit like a ton of bricks but pull like a powder puff.

You can hit certain types of water here on the river at the right time and they will eat hard .. This was a slower day .. had not kept any until yesterday (kept forgetting the ice chest . my live well is being used as a dry well).
The rod & reel combo is a golden oldie .. from the 80's .. the reel is a Diawa PS10 .. one of the cheapest they made at that time but turned out to be one of their best (Bushing reel) The rod is a Bruin 610ML43 (4' 3") Fiberglass/Graphite/Epoxy .. I designed it for the company I was working for (Bruin was a division I was in the wholesale end both out of Biz now Long story) NW Fl guys wanted a real River Rod and that was what I designed it for real accurate and easy to chunk a bait under the over hangs.
Here is the spinner Bait .. the skirt has been clipped real way by Jack fish and a lot of fish. Extra Light wire (Music Wire) Hi Vibration.
1/4 oz.

On The Choctawhatchee
08-28-2014, 10:36 PM,
Outstanding report & fantastic catch!!! WTG JSC!!!!
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
09-02-2014, 05:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM by JSC.)
Got Back out today and the super high tide made me change my plans.
Tried around the edge of the bay awhile for Bass or Reds -0-
Went back to the warmouth hole ... no bass I Jack and 42 Warmouth.
I did try another color combo on them .. Texas Chicken (note the spring coil near the blade on the upper arm .. saw a wierd bend on a spinner bait in TU and thought about this .. I think some one made it before ? the coil will pick up debries. Would have stayed longer but rain clouds were building and I heard thunder so I cranked up and headed for the house .. Tide was running out good when I had to leave .. this afternoon should have been real good for where I had planned on going. Normaly I throw back 90% of what I catch but my daughter and son in law need a mess all a long and these hitting in numbers you get them while you can.

On The Choctawhatchee
09-02-2014, 05:55 PM,
I haven't seen a coil on the arm before. That's pretty neat. Does it work at catching the debris?

You got them warmouth cornered!