Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catfish on lures
02-01-2015, 05:20 PM,
RE: catfish on lures
We catch a lot of cats on a twin tailed grub all the time. My buddy hooked moby dicks cousin last year in his yak and it rolled him.
02-05-2015, 09:45 AM,
Not sure if scent in the plastic made a difference, but returning to the warm canal got 3 channels 3-5#, one each on a 3" Mister Twister Exude chartreuse/gltr twister grub, 3" Powerbait clear chartreuse twister grub, and 3" Powerbait green creature. The baits had lost their distinctive PB smell being in storage for 10 years in a tropical climate.

I think I'll follow the Lostleader and go look for some stinky twin tails.
02-05-2015, 10:38 AM,
We get into them once in awhile while fishing for Bluegills & Redears;

All these cats were caught on 2lb test with custom jigs and crickets.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
02-05-2015, 11:05 AM,
Some really good cats on jig and cricket .. 2# line got stretched and I bet the drag hollered at you.
Smile
JSC _________ http://www.zibbet.com/ThinkLikeAFish
On The Choctawhatchee
02-05-2015, 12:33 PM,
2#, geez, even 5# Power Pro feels sketchy when eater sizes dig for the rocks. Bet theres a few swimming in Perris with micro jig adornments.
02-06-2015, 10:55 AM,
Here at the mouth of the river in late summer and early winter when a lot of bait moves in here come the salt water Sail Cat & Hard Head Cat behind them .. put one of my Shrimp Tail Jigs in front of them and they will eat it .. good fight but the Sail Cats will "Slime Up" your line BAD !
All ways hard to unhook ,,, so I avoid them as much as possible. Lot of times the cats will be under the bait and Skip Jacks on top . I make a few casts outside of the area for Specs & Reds and if not there move on ... Grand Kids have all ways gotten a kick out of them but you know who they have all ways wanted to do the de hooking .. Very rare has been the time when I have caught a freshwater cat on artificial .. the first one on a spinner bait this past summer .. made a cast had some loose line that I stripped and when I took up the slack had a small willow cat (mud cat) on.
JSC _________ http://www.zibbet.com/ThinkLikeAFish
On The Choctawhatchee
02-07-2015, 12:12 AM,
Never fished the salt. I've heard about those Hardhead cats. If you think Bullhead cats flip and flop, and do their darndest to gore you with a fin, Hardheads are even more determined to cause you bodily injury.....
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information A Kansas Catfish Story ! Radtexan 4 1,569 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Last Post: StumpHunter
  CATFISH catfishfever 15 2,750 02-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Last Post: catfishfever
  Jigging for Catfish Hawnjigs 8 2,060 03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Last Post: jiggerjohn