Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first jig tye!
10-03-2010, 07:26 PM,
My first jig tye!
[attachment=509]     [/color][color=#FF0000]Big Grin I'm all excited Big Grin I tied the little 1/32 oz jig lastnight and when I got up this morning I did another jig 1/8 oz. I used Marabuo. What do you all think? I hope the pics come through Undecided
H.Hawkins
10-03-2010, 10:14 PM,
RE: My first jig tye!
SEE THERE NEW YOU COULD DO IT !
Toad Frog Baits a nonprofit hobby . Dedicated to spending money when I shouldn't
Fish Forever Work Whenever ! The worst day fishing is better than the best day working.
10-04-2010, 07:11 AM,
WOW - great first tyes - good looking jigs
10-04-2010, 02:34 PM,
Great job Heather! Welcome to the addiction.
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM by hhawkins.)
[/color][color=#9400D3]Yep, an addiction! Oh my gosh! Well, I tied a few more today. 1st one is a 1/32 oz jig with hot pink, chartreuse with some flash    
My 2nd one is 1/4 oz with white, fl. yellow, purple with flash

And last but not least, I went a little off on the wild side. I did a pink bullet head with a pale pink marabou, chartreuse, add some flash and I trimmed a guinea fowl feather and put on the back of the jig. What do you all think about this one? I'm thinking I should have put the guinea fowl feather in the middle or used it at the start of making the jig.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

H.Hawkins
10-04-2010, 09:32 PM,
Good job! You're off to a great start!
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM,
Nice! Looks like you are well on your way.

I will give one suggestion that i know is a preference by alot of people.... try not to cut off the tips of the feathers after you tie them on the hook. If you keep the end tips (like the blue/white in your first post) on the tail you will get better action in the water - and a more realistic look IMO. I pull a section of marabou off the feather stem then hold it up to the jig to decide how long i want the tail. Then i cut the end i pulled off so that it will be covered up with the thread or other body material.

But........ I have had days on the water when i get bites and can't set the hook on the fish. Angry In that case, if i do not have jigs with shorter tails, i will perform on the water surgery and cut the long tail shorter. The blunt cut tails will catch fish! Big Grin
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
10-05-2010, 05:13 PM,
Off to a good start. I think I would put one of the guinea feathers on each side and not the bottom. Looks more like a fish pattern. I suppose you could trim the edge of it down some but fish it and see. It gives the look of a big fat fish that way if seen from the bottom and may be perceived as too fat a meal to eat. It looks more buggy like that. I have heard that most crappie will not hit a bait below them but will rise to it so fishing depth plays into it. As long as you swim it near their level or jig it up and down it should be ok.

Not to hijack the thread but this is how I do a bug jig right now. The first one is my Electric Chicken Bug and second is my FlitterFly .

[Image: Electric%20Chicken%20Bug%20Bottom%20View.JPG]

[Image: Electric%20Chicken%20Bug%20Side%20View.JPG]

[Image: FltterFly%20-%20Junebug%20Top%20View.JPG]

[Image: FlitterFly%20-%20Junebug%20Side%20View.JPG]