Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tail Spins
09-15-2010, 11:28 AM,
Tail Spins
Seeing all these interesting spinner style jigs lately... i couldn't resist, but i did them a little different than what i have seen here. i left off the traditional tail of a crappie jig and tied in the spinner instead. made them up yesterday and have not even had a chance to throw them in water yet to see if they actually do what i hope they will - i do like the way they look though! Big Grin

Let me know what you think - or if anyone else here has tried this.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
09-15-2010, 08:45 PM,
RE: Tail Spins
Those do look awesome AF! They should work! And nice body work! Love the weave. Try them out... will be waiting for another round of pics of the catch.
09-15-2010, 10:48 PM,
Very cool jigs. Did you tie the swivel in? I've been thinking about a tail spinner with a tail,but thought a tail would keep the blade from spinning.I just might try something like that and see how it works.
09-15-2010, 11:29 PM,
Look like fish slayers - like the idea
09-16-2010, 12:13 AM,
Do I need to adjust the color of my screen or did AF just post a pic of a pink jig! Big Grin
09-16-2010, 07:41 AM,
Years back,legendary Smallmouth/slider fisherman Charlie Brewer introduced his "Whirley Bee" lure,even before his Slider worm. It was a tiny soft plastic grub body with a tail spinner. As Charlie promised,it caught EVERYTHING that swam, for me, tho I never cared for the plain looking plastic body. Now YOURS features a really cool colored & tied body,much better hooking, and a very artistic,realistic jighead ; this new lure should slay 'em!!(years later I saw a super hot "secret weapon" lure by a well known Wisconsin muskie man,where he removed a plastic lizard's twister tail and threaded in a tail spinner to replace it ; catch rate SOARED!!).
09-16-2010, 10:13 AM,
Now I'm convinced that I need to make some of these. The whirly bee that I've seen has a little red bead that appears to hold the swivel on.Anyone know where I might get some?
09-16-2010, 05:16 PM,
Lookin Good
Need Pixes of the fish

JSC
JSC _________ http://www.zibbet.com/ThinkLikeAFish
On The Choctawhatchee
09-16-2010, 08:51 PM,
Attica's new creation had me thinking today - it reminded me that my friend ,Steve, at bouncerflies.com has detailed instructions for making a prop tailspin on his site that could fit right in with AF's jig tying idea ; Steve's already great catch rate went skyhigh when he started tying prop spins into his flies! And recently I've used an unusual but HIGHLY effective spin blade where this concept would benefit -called a Smile Blade from http://www.macklure.com .
09-16-2010, 08:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2010, 09:02 PM by AtticaFish.)
RD - Yes, that weave was a fun one... red/orange crystal twisted on top and white on bottom. Beat-up That's pink AND chart! Big Grin First of a few 'bright' color combos i will be making, have a pile of pink, orange & chart heads.

JJ1 - I did tie the swivel to the hook. Right at the first bend of the hook and just made 1 wrap over it with the chenille to hide the lump a little. I looked through my catalogs... only thing i could find was the stinger hooks they use alot for walleye. It had a simple swivel with the top loop coated in some kind of vinyl so you just push the hook point of the jig through. I actually thought they were some kind of rubberbands! Haha. If you find something that works, please post, i am planning to get some more of these spinners.

Thanks every one else. Smile

I did get a chance to try the top jig just to see how it worked. The blade spun PERFECT! The whole way down the blade spins and does not make the jig spin, was worried about that. i did try tipping it with a chunk of worm and it DID spin/twist the jig on the fall... oh well. No fish pics yet, was chasing gills that day and it was a little big for them. Wink Pics will have to come another day..........
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some bigger belly spins moswampy 5 1,821 05-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Last Post: duffy
  Fresh belly Spins plateboater 10 1,701 01-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Last Post: plateboater
  3 spins and a flip (or 3) follow-up AtticaFish 10 1,883 10-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Last Post: AtticaFish
  Spins Lost Pole 9 1,441 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Last Post: QPassage
  More Belly Spins! PanfishHunter 7 1,394 05-23-2014, 10:10 PM