Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rid Molds of Jig Collar
06-28-2013, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM by Bucho.)
Rid Molds of Jig Collar
Hi,

I´m frequentliy wasting far too much time on cutting of Jig collars. Hate to tie on them, hardly ever need them at all. Is there an easy way to modify the mold, s.a. putting in a spacer or something?

Edit: Sorry, should have posted in "lead pouring"
06-28-2013, 07:33 AM,
RE: Rid Molds of Jig Collar
I use a spinnerbait band (those really thick small rubber bands used to attach spinnerbait skirts) and drop it into the mold. After 2-3 pours you find the exact place where the band should be put because it expands and causes an indentation in the head.
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM,
I've fought with this myself. Just recently used a blue high temp silicone gasket sealer. Can't recall the name but it's in a grey tube like toothpaste. Worked perfectly. Place in both sides of mold where the collar is and clean up excess with a toothpick or cotton swab. Once it starts to set (not long) add the hook and close for a couple hours. Then you're ready to go.
Missouri Crappie Crippler
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM,
you can also use JB-weld. what i did was pour 8 jigs in the mold, numbered them, cut off the collars. I then placed them back in the mold, made some refernce marks with a sharpie, mixed some jb weld, and used toothpicks to apply the jb weld to the mold, after setting up for a bit, i put the jig in and formed/removed excess jb weld. I duplicated this for the other side... been going strong for about 5-600 pours thus far....
SLAB STIK'R JIGS

TNT Tackle
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM,
I´m a bit intimidated by that JB-weld stuff, but that reminds me of the high temperature silicone rubber I once bought to make custom molds. Gonna try the exact same thing with that,Icon14 should be easier to remove in case something goes wrong or if I need the collar again.
06-28-2013, 01:50 PM,
Never tried JB - how do you remove the excess ?
06-28-2013, 02:15 PM,
(06-28-2013, 01:50 PM)Hawnjigs Wrote: Never tried JB - how do you remove the excess ?

Keith , Initially i formed the jb with a toothpick , after it was setup enough to firm up but not harden all the way. I used an old gift card/c.c. to skim the surface of any excess after inserting the jig to form the back of the jighead/collar, and the hook shank.
SLAB STIK'R JIGS

TNT Tackle
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM,
If you JB Kwik instead of JB weld it will be easier to remove if you decide you don't want it in the future. It isn't quit as strong as JB weld and won't adhere to the mold quite as tightly. It will stay there as long as you want it but if you do decide to remove it, it will be easier to do so than JB Weld.
06-28-2013, 05:29 PM,
Use silicone ,you can get it out without damage to the mold . Once you have it in the mold you can do both sides at once by tapping talc powder over the silicone just like powder painting . Put the heads back in the mold close until dry then open the mold .Both sides should come free from one another because of the talc .There will be thin flash silicone around the cavity of the mold where the excess came out . Peel it up cut it off with an exacto knife . This is the only silicone you will need to remove .
Toad Frog Baits a nonprofit hobby . Dedicated to spending money when I shouldn't
Fish Forever Work Whenever ! The worst day fishing is better than the best day working.
06-29-2013, 05:40 AM,
Love this site!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing collar from mold SlabHappy 2 1,016 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Bucho