Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sabiki Rigs for Crappie
04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Sabiki Rigs for Crappie
Have started tying up a few Sabiki rigs for crappie. Since Ohio regs limit to three hooks on line. I tied only three flies per line.

Rig is mostly used in Saltwater fishing to catch baitfish. apparently it does this job very well. In Ohio some Lake Erie perch fishermen have been using it with success on the yellow perch.

Being the curious dabbler that I are. I tied one up with " gummy minnow ".
Also one with three plastic tails and finally a version with reds woolies.

If I ever get some kind of decent weather to fish I will report on effectiveness on crappies.Angry

AKA- hays47
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Sabiki Rigs for Crappie
I always thought it would be fun to troll one through a school of white bass!

Never say, “It’s good enough to catch fish”, because fish eat worms and marshmallows…you want to be better than that. Practice until you can do it right. - Charlie Craven
04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Sabikis could work quite well where legal. Have used them a lot to gather bait off piers and boats in salt water. They are very effective. I have even caught some decent mackerel on them but usually they chew right through the leader before you get them up. Only allowed max of 3 poles per person here in Kansas, but could see a definite application for using Sabikis where spider rigging is legal. Good luck testing them and let us know how the new system works???
04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Multi dropper rigs are actually more efficient for vertical jigging pan fish, especially in deep water where a heavy sinker gets down far quicker than a light jig.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
[Image: Dsc05558_zps2b1d5da9.jpg]

Here is a pic of the three I created. Tied on main line 10# power pro. Used 6# test on " arms ". Tie each fly about 8 to 9 inches apart on about 5 inches of the 6# leader. Swivel snap on terminal end with 1/8 oz bell sinker with a barrel swivel on top of the rig.

All flies are weightless and they really dance when jigged just slightly. The one on left has " Red Denmark " inspired flies on it. Middle is the plastics and the gummy ones are on the right.

AKA- hays47
04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
looking good, let us know how they work....

SLAB STIK'R JIGS

TNT Tackle
04-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Good looking rigs!!!!!
04-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice looking rigs. Have used sabiki rigs for catching shad. Look forward to hearing how they work out for you.

Ronnie
05-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Will definitely work well! Something else for you to try is getting some drop shot hooks (vmc spin shots are great) and just nose hooking some plastic baits.
05-01-2013, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 03:36 PM by Hawnjigs.)
Yup, nose hook plastics work fine.

Personally, I preferred hooks on short legs off the main line to minimize the annoying tendency of hooks to attach to each other or wrap around the main. The main trunk line had small dropper loops tied into it and the flies/hooks & bottom sinker were attached on separate loop+leg lines which allowed mix & match switching. By keeping the hook & sinker legs lighter than main a snag wouldn't necessarily destroy the entire rig.

Also preferred Mason hard mono which maintained trunk loops perpendicular to the vertical main with proper dropper knots

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wife painted a nice crappie for me. Jighead76 10 197 03-20-2014 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jighead76
  Love Me Some Crappie and Taters! AndyLane 20 531 02-01-2013 08:58 PM
Last Post: Fatman
Information A Crappie Jig Primer For Beginning Tyers Pup 8 311 01-12-2013 10:18 PM
Last Post: StumpHunter
Shocked Colors and materials for crappie in muddy/algae bloom conditions? Shoemoo 15 775 06-27-2012 01:29 AM
Last Post: redear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)