Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
couple wool and satins
12-25-2012, 10:23 PM,
couple wool and satins
tied up a couple of 1/32 jigs this evening, trying to emulate Red's jigs a little more by using the satin fibers, been using 70 denier thread to prevent buildup of the threadneck as each additional group of fibers requires several wraps and as much as is on there 140 denier would be pretty fat.

Attached Files
.jpg   tnpinky.jpg (Size: 3.07 KB / Downloads: 210)
.jpg   tnwool.jpg (Size: 3.21 KB / Downloads: 211)
.jpg   tnwhite.jpg (Size: 2.79 KB / Downloads: 209)
.jpg   tnwhitey.jpg (Size: 2.79 KB / Downloads: 210)
12-25-2012, 10:28 PM,
RE: couple wool and satins
you can't see it much in these small pics, but there is plenty of white satin on these jigs, a touch of red, green and blue and a peice if silver flashabou down each side. been tying 1/32 heads as these will be used in ponds around here fishing 6 foot deep and less under a float.
12-25-2012, 10:31 PM,
It doesn't bother me at all, but with the satin fiber thing having to remove them from the peice of cloth and tying each grop of colors etc. in separatly it takes me alot longer to tie these, but they are fun to tie.
12-25-2012, 10:37 PM,
Nice work Kip!
SLAB STIK'R JIGS

TNT Tackle
12-25-2012, 10:46 PM,
thanks Happy!!
12-25-2012, 10:57 PM,
Oh, just as a side note, when separating the fibers from the costume satin from joanns I noticed that the fibers running one way were shinier than the ones running the other way, so I stayed with the shinier ones. the costume satin is the cheapest which is what I got but there was one type that was a little more expensive, still cheap mind you, but it came in alot less colors. I need to go back and get a few more colors, they had black, lavender , yellow, two shades of pink, thats just what I remember. I was a little sheepish when buying this the first time as I didn't know what kind of bill I was running up, next time I'll be a little bolder. I bought about 7 strips 6 inches wide and 43 inches long for less than 5 bucks last time.
12-26-2012, 12:16 AM,
Nice ties. My sister in law brought the bag of satin pieces over tonight pretty good batch, everyone is still playing cards so I'll post pics later.
12-26-2012, 01:55 AM,
Doug, be patient when pulling the fibers out of the fabric, if you try to grab too many at a time it's too hard. cut a piece of fabric about 2"x2" maybe slightly larger to work with.
12-26-2012, 09:42 AM,
Redeaer, Very nice job - Red would be proud of your little jigs!! Heck, I thought I was actually looking at his for a second! As I'd mentioned,he enjoys a robust jig, and also likes to stack on the flash & satin over a goodly chunk of wool! He ALSO fishes his 1/32s and the bead headed fly under a float in spring through shallow emergent weed beds, and you'll find the thicker ties descend slowly & react better to motion in their hefty, buoyant form. Red has often watched live baiters pull out just a few panfish in a good Springtime bay, while he has filled a COOLER with his special jig n float! And you touched on an important tying tip he'd mentioned the other day - on the satin swatch there is definately a BETTER edge of the square to pull the brightest & thinnest fibers!!Red then showed me how he pulls his fibers from about 3/4 near the tip,got them on a bit of an angle so he wasn't ripping at a whole stack of strands at once, and slowly pulled down the length of an edge -got an easy, nice neat handfull this way!
12-26-2012, 03:29 PM,
thanks jiggerjohn!! I was trying to make them more like RED's jigs too. And isn't it great that this costume satin is so cheap? I am loving it! lol . you deserve an A+ for telling us about this stuff, and ole RED, I am just luvin me some RED! what a guy. hope ya'll had a merry christmas yesterday.