Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No Name Lure
02-22-2012, 12:53 AM
RE: No Name Lure
John Fujita - a real innovator. To tye something that has people talking about it years later. That would be something to tye a jig like that…..

Good lookin tyes papa – great post
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 10:02 AM
From my winter experiments (Tub & sink testing!!) I THINK I'm beginning to see some of John Fujita's genius, based on his instructions. He was a huge believer in water pressure for action& sinking, which I've always observed with very lightweight jigs that I tie and use. But he was very big on attachments consisting of 2# line and light head weight,so as not to thwart that all important balance he sought. And the small head was shaped to give aslight dart or vibration when pulled.

From my observations, I think an ideal jighead for this is Wade's !/64th "horizontal minnow" ( http://www.wadesblades.com) which sports a #12 gold hook. This tiny head has a peculiar dart on the drop which carries a small marabou fly down very nicely (Fujita often suggested using a float 3' above his lure for a casting approach).Maybe even better will be Wade's highly specialized Tungsten ice heads, recently obtained from Europe's top ice fishing pros, that sport hooks as small as #18 ! These dance in an unusual but subtle fashion and are well proven as huge producers of ice bound panfish!

Or we could try to find the Fujita head -he sold a bunch,so SOMEONE must have one! Then a small mold could replicate this original, and leave us to figure the attachments!! Its gonna be a fun year in the experiments!
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
JJ

Great follow up.
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Here is a site with a better picture, if that helps:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/na...l-64012463
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Papa nicely done. The last of your pictures looks the closest. Will wait to see how each works and then will build a few. It might just be that one bait that you need in your box that is a super secret lure. Keep us informed. I have enjoyed reading this thread and yes I hope that some day after I am long gone someone will want to tie something that I have done. You have done a tribute to Mr. John Fujita. Know that he is smiling up above.

Redman
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Tied some more up today. Like anything the more you do the better you get at it. I am hoping the solder equals the slight amount of lead that Fujita used on the original. These are still a bit of a headache to tie. The approach I have used so far is to complete the articulated tie first. Then anchor the tie with mono wrapping thread. I tie the marabou or tail material on last.

Now one advantage we have is the presence of lot better fishing line. I lost quite a few back in the day to larger non-target species. Mainly channel catfish and LM Bass. The 2 # leader was not very forgiving on the original. The thin line is necessary for the lure to work right. I ruined a few when I tried taking the original leader off and replacing with 8 or 10 # mono. Now we can use 8# test that has a diameter of 1# test.

Might be able to post some pix of my later models tomorrow. Got way to many projects going on at once. Had marina replace my 40HP merc. with a 25hp Yamaha. Building two new rods just for jig fishing. One a 8' 5 weight fly rod blank the other a 6-6 fly rod blank. Both are going to sport split handles. Plus getting boat back to square one and ready to go. Boy this being retired is tough work. :-)

AKA- hays47
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Did these few today. Tried a bigger one with # 4 hooks kinda like a magnum no name. Then of course a smaller one for chub fishing LOL .

[Image: nonam3.jpg]

Middle left is the magnum. Bottom right is the mini no-name used a bead head on that one. The rest I just experimented with hackle , rabbit ,duck or whatever took my fancy.
Anybody else tying these ? Lets see some pix .

AKA- hays47
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Nice work...

SLAB STIK'R JIGS

TNT Tackle
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Wonder if you use a swim jig for the top portion of it - you could always trim the sides smaller. And that style swims with a swaying action anyway then just tie the other part on.
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 12:53 PM by Badgerloader.)
I have one (1) original in the package. As I recall, the package was printed pre-Zip Code. I also have a stash of 20 or 30 that do NOT have the "chicken" feathers tied on to the tiny trailing hook. Fujita specifically said he used "chicken" feather fluff from the base of a chicken feather - not maribu.
He also linked the trailing hook to the front weighted hook before he tied on the feathers. The feathers were tied on while WET to make it easier to tie.
The line between the lead weighted hook and the trailing hook must be very limber - perhaps some of the ultra thin super lines might work. Of critical importance is how the leader is tied to the front lead weighted hook. Fujita used what is essentially a "Rapala" knot. If your leader is tight to the front hook eye, the lures effectiveness is dramatically reduced. Fujita originals were tied to a 2# or 3# "cat-gut" leader with the loop knot so it would freely undulate in the water.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Under the sea - lure action visualization Bucho 13 421 08-28-2014 10:14 PM
Last Post: Ron Don
  Vibrating Lure Do It Mold Clarification shredmandan 6 249 07-16-2014 07:30 PM
Last Post: Fatman
  Interview With A Lure Designer Pup 5 181 07-04-2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: Fatman
  Hi-Tech Lure Molds hookup 5 212 04-15-2014 02:59 PM
Last Post: Hawnjigs
  Roseys Jig and Lure Powders... Len 0 141 05-03-2013 04:17 PM
Last Post: Len

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)