Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bass Tailspins
06-06-2011, 12:33 AM,
Bass Tailspins
I've been using smaller tailgunner's for the last month and have been tearing up just about everything that swims with them. Since it's getting hot here I usually switch over and fish for bass,especially at night. These are some bass tailspins that I came up with this evening. I tested them in the pool and they constantly spin,even on the drop. Hopefully,we won't get much rain here the next couple of weeks and I'll get to test them out on some smallmouth. All of these are 1/8 oz that were poured on 2/0-4/0 hooks,including some that were poured with 2/0 vmc Barbarian jig hooks. They are heavier wire than regular aberdeens and very sharp. I used 12lb mono on the one's with bunny tail's to get the extra length so the blades don't foul,all the blades are painted as well using 2-3 colors of powder paint and blade sizes are Indiana's 1 or 3's. I'm sure this is something the bass havn't seen before.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-06-2011, 12:57 AM,
RE: Bass Tailspins
Shoot, the jigs are already excellent without the blades. Does the extra metal make a noticeable difference?

I especially like the top & bottom pic versions without tails - how do they compare with the tailed jigs?
06-06-2011, 06:34 AM,
Very cool. Cool I like the idea of a leader to a trailing blade. Bigfish

Single hooks seem preferable to me for this type of bait. I've fished commercially-made tail spins equipped with treble hooks and felt as though I had little control regarding losses due to snags.

The look is much more appealing to me than most commercially-made offerings. These might elicit more bass strikes and snag less.
06-06-2011, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM by JUNGLEJIM1.)
Hawn,I think the extra metal makes a difference when you drop the bait slowing the drop speed of the bait and adding flash and vibration. I like tying the tails but it seems the baits without tails catch as many crappie as the ones with tails so it might not make any difference. I'll need to do more field testing this year. Fish are swallowing the crappie sized offerings about 1/3 of the time. Since the tail versions are further away from the hook it might mean more missed fish so tail less might be the way to go. I need to order some #2 Indiana's,the #3's might be too big. All these baits are 3-4 inches long. Thanks Pup,I like the input. I like single hooks over trebles because I'm less likely to hook myself while lipping the bass and believe they are more snag resistant.
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM,
Excellent work - again Jungle - like them all
06-06-2011, 08:20 PM,
Great ties JJ...they will catch !
"Only death will end my love affair with Texas." Bob Bullock
06-06-2011, 09:19 PM,
Sweet spinners jungle. I'm sure the bass will inhale them too!
06-07-2011, 11:41 AM,
Very impressive as always Jim. I enjoy seeing your creative ideas. Those are beautiful.
Missouri Crappie Crippler
06-07-2011, 12:51 PM,
When I used to bass fish I was a big spinner bait guy and I'm convinced a blad on anything doubles your chances in the right temperatures. I only wish id've had some of these beautiful creations back in the day. Awesome work.

Adam
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM,
Since JJ2 turned me on to his prop blade Boolie jig, I find myself more & more replacing my "pure" fluff jigs with blade versions. Judging by forum posts, I'm not the only one.

We might have to change the forum name to BladeJigCraft.com.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wabbits & Tailspins JUNGLEJIM1 17 2,672 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Last Post: JUNGLEJIM1
  Twin Spins and Tailspins JUNGLEJIM1 4 1,262 06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Last Post: hhawkins